Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Payout Structure...

Attila

Payout Structure...

Just wondering and have a few questions...

It is pretty widely known that Ted has some of the lowest percentage payouts on the circuit at about 55%.

Given that its not about the money, what brings all of you anglers back here year after year to fish the series?

Just curious..

Attila

Your right !! It's not always about the money, but that does play a factor in what series I fish.. I'll I have to say is that, 1st- I have never fished a top bass event.... 2nd- I would never fish a top bass event with the knowledge of how much money Ted is putting in his pocket !! I speak for my self here , but I'm sure some will agree... I/we, spend lots of money to fish and when we win an event or at least place , it would be nice to get back a good chunk of cash !! Winning or placing in an event for 55% payback is sick !!! Thats just how I feel about it.

Given that its not about the money?

Hey Attila,

Great Idea!!, And while your at it, maybe you can post on the Bassmaina forum and ask their members,

It is pretty widely known that Andy has some of the lowest boat fields on the circuit at about 55 boats for the 1 days and 20 boats for the 2 days. So given that it’s not about the money or the fields, what brings all of you anglers back here year after year to fish the series?

Then go to the CFT forum and ask their members…

It is pretty widely known that Dan has some of the highest percentage payouts on the circuit, but can’t fill his fields. Given that it’s not about the money, what brings all of you anglers back here year after year to fish the series?

Just curious..

Attila

Hey Fred...

Tell you what...why don't we make it about the money.

Top Bass has the lowest payouts based on percentages. I thought anglers fishing wanted to at least run the gammit of making their money back, but they don't seem to be doing it.

Since the majority of anglers appear to lose money in the series, and yet the numbers are still high, I'm wondering why they go back?

This isn't an argument, I just want to know. Is it because its a buddy tourny? A pal function? What?

Attila

Why do I fish topbass .First I don't have to sign up aweek in advance to fish a tourny .Ialso don't have to pay a membership fee . Ted keeps it simple. Iknow if Iever win against 100-120 boats that Iwill have accomplished something .The lakes are all within an hour of my home.These are some reasons why I fish Top bass tournys.

Just a couple of question\'s

Attila: Just curious as to why you would like to know? And why you change the question after they clearly have been answered! However, if you really need to know soooo badly here they are; 1) cost of tournament is affordable, 2) the competition level is equal to the top of any other tournament series, 3) your statement regarding the money is simply ridiculous, because if you were to win one tournament based on a full field than you have covered your cost for the year for that series, 4) Ted is a very honourable man who genuinely cares about the anglers and what they would like to see in the future without the bulls--t. Further Ted has never told anyone not to cash a cheque and has never bounced a cheque! Can you say that about every other series? I personally want to fish where there is great anglers to compete against. I don't want to tell people I won a tournament however, there was only twenty to fifty boats. Since you've stated yourself that this is not an argument, I'm curious what series do you fish?

He doesn't

Attila

Well....

Steiner,

I haven't fished a tourny series yet because I don't know which one to get into. I'm also looking into different sponsors and trying to understand this whole business that we seem to be involved in.

That is why I'm getting information about all of them. All I'm asking is what is the draw to Teds tournaments, what in the world makes you think that I wanted to start an argument?

There are drawing points to each series and I want to hear what they are so that I can make up my own mind for next season.

Tim,

Thanks for telling me why you fish the series! Those are the kind of answers I'm looking for and I appreciate you telling them to me.

Attila

Nicely said Tim, I hate fishing in a 20-50 teams tournament and pay membership fee to fish a tournament. Topbass run a very good series and alot of good anglers fishing it.

On the Tourney Angler board theres a disscusion about % pay back that went for 6 pages. And if you follow it along you will no that Ted provides everything that the other 2 do.

Theres was a small error in the cal. Top bass has $500 big fish in every tournament so it's a little higher %.

Now the most anglers to make money are in Top Bass. Even finnishing 3rd will almost make expence. So 9 event that 27 teams plus 5th at the classic payed $4500. 8th payed $1000.

That adds another 6 or 7 teams made expences thats 34 teams that could fish free.

And Top Bass never makes a decision that doesn't look after the bottom half of the field. Taking 75 to the classic would be example, paying $1000 for 8 th at the classic.

So the guys cashing cheques don't care about % payback and the guys working there way up have lots of small accomplisments to keep them going.

Garnet

here we go again......:roll:

I have followed these discussions many times and I cannot believe how many opinions are expressed with no research into the simple facts.

We all know that Ted Wiehler is one of the Top Bass disciples, and all his thoughts are totally exceptable from his perspective. But lets really look into this with more sound data.

You say that the entry is more affordable at $175.00, with no membership. You are absolutley CORRECT. You say the fields are full, you are CORRECT (most of the time). You say you will be competing against many boats and that may justify more pride and gratification. GREAT! However the real logic is that you are competing against more teams decreasing your chances of winning LESS MONEY. That is simply ridiculous. The real problem here is that these anglers get side tracked by a low entry fee.

The total teams in 9 events in 2004 was (112,79,121,103,109,99,96,107,74) which totals 900 teams or 900 times that low entry of $175 which totals $157,500.

55% of that equals $88,625. Money left is $70,875. Now if he honours the Classic paybacks on his website which total $37,600 (what were the actual paybacks, obviously not that)
    you subtract that value from $70,875 and get $33275. On yeah do not forget that you get charged to go to the Classic at $130 times 75 teams (WOW what an achievement, you represent the top 75% of the field. Just make it 100% and let everyone qualify) equals $9750. Money left over is $33,275 plus $9750 equals
    $43,025. Not bad for 9 days of work. That totals $4780 per event for day of work. That is a far from honourable, that is simply an awesome business. Even if you factor the $500 big fish award per event, which totals 9 times 500 which is $4500. Minus that from $43,025 and you get $38,525. Can anyone please tell me what the big fish pay backs were to make that calculation.

$38,525 for nine days equals $4280 per event (divide that by 12 hours of work equals $356 per hour). And what expenses does he have? Please entertain me on this one.

One thing that many of you forget and this is the most important thing of all. You all support this great no bulls__t series and you get about 100 boats per event, WOW. If each team catches thier limit that is 500 fish per event, times 9 equals 4500 fish per year plus about 750 fish at the Classic. A total of 5250 fish that are caught, or at least that much if everyone catches thier limit. How many of those fish will survive in Ted's state of the art live release system. Think really hard on this guys. You said that Ted genuinely cares about the anglers and what they would like to see in the future, how about having fish in the Kawartha Lakes. Would'nt that be nice! Think before you speak and really research topics before you take a stand. Loyalty is one thing but being smoke screened is another. Look at the big picture boys you need fish to fish this sport.

Garnet you said, Ted provides everything that the other 2 do, are you OK Garnet. The CFT provincial title paid over $60,000 in cash and prizes, which is almost 70% of Top Bass' total paybacks (not including the Top Bass Classic). And that is just one event. Garnet you have some points, but you gotta research the facts.

Attila, get a spine. The intent of your original post was pretty obvious don't back out with that poor white flag surrender.

I have fished all three series and I speak based on taking the time to calculate and observe and to say what should be heard once and for all.

Its all about the money! I don't think so! Man! we all talk about winnings, payouts, and percentages! I would like to start a conversation about how much a angler loses by fishing tournaments?. Personally I fish because I enjoy the competition, and love the sport, if I was in it for the money, I would not be fishing tournaments. In my case, even if I win a tournament, I still lose anyways. You figure it out if you fish a few tournament series and have a good paying job? This site should be used as an information tool, not a battle of words. What's the fun with that? We should find new ways to draw new tournament anglers. All the bad talk, who wants to fish tournaments? We all need this sport to grow. Only by positive talk can this be acheived. Make it apealing for new angler to go on this site and become intereset to fish more tournaments. I am a new tournament angler, and its becoming boring to see posts that I really don't learn anything from. The old saying:" if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all". Take a good look around you? Do you see alot of new faces in the tournament series? Not really! Its a shame to say but I think one of the biggest factors that will help our sport grow will be BassProShops coming into Canada. Eventhough alot of small taclke stores will be affected tremendously! But it can only help the Bass Fishing industry a whole lot! Maybe if our sport reaches the same status as the U.S.A I can quite my job! Take Care! Till next time!
    Frank

Attila

Maybe...

But it seems that alot of guys fish this as a buddy league system if they decide on a Friday that they want to fish a tourny. In my opinion, it'd be ok to do a tourny once in a while but to fish the whole series and then have to pay for the classic, if you qualify, what is the sense in that? Defies logic to me..

Attila

Now because Top Bass look after there bottom half of the field. They are the only ones keeping new guys in the sport. There was at list 5 boats that had between 15 and 20 hp boats of which i talked one with a 20 hp Johnson on a Mirro Craft that had caught a limit on Rice and were pretty happy. My guess would be both anglers would be about 17 - 18. Bet they are back next year.

Calculating a per hour # on 9 days work. Running tournaments is 365 days a year. Just think about the people sitting last weekend eating Turkey and talking about fishing and they come up with the big ? and they just call Ted. And this happens every holiday.

The payout for the classic was exactly what was advertized.

Garnet