Thread: ottawa river (bass fishing)

Roge

ottawa river (bass fishing)

I just brought my bass boat to ottawa and i would like to hit a few large mouth with my g\f , i'll be launching my boat from orleans area.,

Can anybody give me general starting areas, I don't want your spots just an ideal so i don's waist to much time i'm only in ottawa for fun fishing. Somebody told me lockerby bay or somthing, does this sound right ?

Roger Tetreault

ottawa

Roger: If you are lauching in the Orleans area, Go downstream to the Petrie island area. There are lots of spots in behind Petrie. Rats and buzzbaits work well as a rule.

Lochibar bay is right accross from the launch at Rockalnd. There is a narrow channel for the entrance. I would recommend going in on idle or trolling motor. You could also try the bay on the outside of Lochibar with rats or flipping.

Ed

Senior Member MichaelVandenberg's Avatar
    Just a warning about Lochibar bay. There are lots of stumps (as there are fish) so you do need to be very carefull. Getting in is tricky but can be done. I would suggest going with someone that has been in there before or take you time.

The reeds right in front of Rockland does hold fish too but is fished a lot.

There is also a stretch of reeds in front of Torso (towards Wendover on the left side) that holds some fish as well.

Good luck.

Mike

Roge
    thanks guys any other spots let me know.
    And what's the avg. lb

Roge: I don't know about averages, but there are lots of 6's in the river.

Ed

Hawg Wild Baits

ottawa river

If you want the better fish hit the back bays and don't be affraid to get dirty. The big fish like the frogs! The best thing about fishing the Ottawa is your next cast can be a 6 pounder! Lochaber and Baie Noire are both great spots for big fish. Both of these bays take your time going in and you'll be fine they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Go slow and trim up once your in your go to go and the fish you'll catch you may not want to leave.

Steve

hey guys thanks i went on the river today, i mostly cruised up and down the river to get a feel of the area so i actully didn't fish much but we still boated a few over 3 lbs. I went all the way to hawksberry, So many places to fish it's unreal!! but we fished in baie noire, nice place.

Like you guys said, i used rats and frogs in the real slop, but man there real hard to get out of there without loosing them, you get lots of short strikes. the bigger ones came in 1ft.

Well now that i seen the river i'm heading out again tommorow for more fishing.

Roge