Thread: The Early Bird Draw - Lake & Trail Renegade Bass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Early Bird Draw - Lake & Trail Renegade Bass

Posted for Renegade.......

December 2006

The ground is covered with snow. The rivers and lakes are beginning to freeze. Surely it’s time to stop thinking about bass fishing. This may be true for most people, but certainly not for the members of Renegade Bass who eagerly awaited the early bird draw which would determine their starting position for the 2007 season. For weeks prior to the draw, the message board was filled with posts speculating on how many teams would be in the draw. Finally, the wait was over. At the December 5th Executive Meeting, the draw was made, and the 57 starting positions posted on the website. While this number was down slightly from last year, it must be remembered that, subsequent to the draw, eight teams withdrew for various reasons. This year, as a result of a decision made by the membership at the October Annual General Meeting, deposits are non-refundable, so it is unlikely that any of the 57 teams will be dropping out. This bodes well for a full field of 85 teams by the time the first tournament rolls around.

The early-bird field boasts 7 new members and 21 returning members who didn’t fish in 2006. The competition should be fierce with a field that already includes 2 previous Classic Championship teams and 5 former Team of the Year winners in addition to a number of other anglers whose names appear on one of the two trophies. This ‘old guard’ will have to face the ‘young guns’ who very successfully challenge for the top prizes tournament after tournament.

Throughout the summer, the anglers compete in a series of five tournaments, with as many as 40 teams qualifying for the Classic and a chance to win the Ranger boat. For 2007, the series has been modified slightly. In response to a suggestion from a number of competitors who felt that they were spending too much time away from family, two of the qualifying tournaments will be held on the same body of water on the same weekend, thereby freeing up the August 1 holiday weekend. Furthermore, the classic qualification has been improved to enable participation from 50% of the field (maximum 40 boats). The 2007 schedule, registration forms, and additional information can be found at the Lake & Trail Renegade Bass website at www.renegadebass.com . In addition to the regular schedule, anyone interested in learning more about tournament fishing is encouraged to register for the Pro-Am, which will be held on the Rideau River on June 30th or the Fall Challenge on Muskrat Lake on September 23rd.

In its on-going commitment to preserving a healthy fish population in the bodies of water that we fish, Renegade Bass will once again utilize the Shimano Water Weigh-In system introduced in 2006. This system ensures that the bass are in water throughout the weigh-in process until they are returned to appropriate locations using the Shimano Live-Release Boat equipped with Aqua Innovations Oxygenators.

As the temperature drops and the snow gets deeper and deeper, at least 57 teams will be preparing for the 2007 season. There are still a lot of anglers, many of them past Renegade Bass competitors, who will hopefully join up over the next few months. With over 40 teams indicating that they will be fishing next season and only 28 available spots, some will be left standing when the music stops. We hope to see you there!

Whats really interesting here is that 57 teams have already commited to next year. Good for Renegade! I fished out that way for a few years...great guys and a great Series..Good luck with the coming season.

I like what they do as far as posting the names and teams and starting position for the coming year.

Dan

How come one of the smallest series gets to win the biggest boat, wow almost makes me want to move back to the valley. EASY NOW I SAID ALMOST?LOL

Tom,

The funnier thing is it's a not for profit organization...so figure that one out.

Dan

GlennM

L & T Renegade

Evening all, Tom and Danny with over 500 members and still growing to this organization in our 12 years of exsistence were not that small. Danny you would remember what it was like, back before Renegade was formed. A strong field of competitive anglers and a good organization in Ottawa Bass, unfortunlately when you have owners who are not making money(when all there time to organizing is accounted for) the organization cannot grow because of limited funds willingly put back into the organization. Things get stagnate, things brake down don't get fixed and so on and so on. Teams fishing for free due to the barter system and that knowledge is not made public, so when events were held and 65 teams fished maybe only 60 had actually paid for the event it doesn't take a math genius to figure things out. That is all water, long gone under the bridge. This organization was the first to charge $100.00 for a one time membership fee, that money was to ensure that the organization always had money for the future and twelve years later were still going and stronger than ever. We have a group of executive members (10 in all and all volunteers) that commit alot of time to making this I believe one of the best organized tournament circuits in North America. We are accountable to all the members (as they are the owners), everything is done above board and nothing is done with hidden agendas. We were the first to own our own Live Release boat and with the employment of the Shimano Water Weigh-In system our commitment to the safety and quality of care to the fish is unquestioned. So as we head into 2007 with a committed field of 57 teams at the December 1 st draw, I am convinced that this year will again see a full field of 85 teams fishing for that $50,000.00 Ranger boat package. Wishing all a safe and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (and for those politically correct a happy festive season to you all). Glenn

so when do you start up the western division? it sounds like the kind of tour we all wish we were part of.

Glenn,

Thanks for the post I'm sure you will fill this keep up the great work..that Series is a great tribute to the hard work and detication of many..

Keep it up and full fields and livewells for all!!

All the best and seasons greetings

Dan

GlennM
    Tom, thanks for the compliment. We are certainly proud of what Renegade has done in the last twelve years. It wasn't easy but with the dedication and leadership of Larry Hodgins and Bill Gutknecht (for ten years) Renegade is what is today. Our radio show that airs Saturday mornings during the season offers alot to our sponsors and membership and to all anglers in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec. Certainly with strong committed sponsors like Scott from Lake & Trail, Ranger and Yamaha, Shimano Canada, Lowrance and many others it helps in offering the 139% pay backs that we have done in the last couple of years. Our strength is in the teams that believe in what we are doing year in and year out. Each year building for the future that lies ahead. But the last thing Southern Ontario needs is another tournament circuit. Glenn

Glenn,

Congrats on your great success. I have had the pleasure of vacationing up in the Rideau area for over 30 years and have come to greatly appreciate such a great fishery.

I follow your tourney results closely and am never surprised by the consistent great weights.

Question, a buddy from Portland area mentioned he was going to fish in a new feeder series, maybe reduced hp series??? Is this related/associated to Renegade?

GlennM

Feeder series

Good morning Tom, Renegade has no secondary series planned for the upcoming season. We did have a series a couple years ago with no HP restrictions. However, that being said the executive is talking about putting a secondary series back in place for the future. Whether it does happen in 2007 (not likely) or in 2008, time and sponsorship will tell. We have always thought that there is enough interest to support a secondary series. But we also want to present the best possible format we can to ensure the new members will enjoy and learn from fishing in a tournament atmosphere. Glenn

Holy night owls Glenn,,

I have to get to bed...after the big win tonight I'm not used to all THAT scoring

HEy I'm heading with Ted Ramsey and Steve Horvath to Cuba for a Bass trip in January...getting ready for next year!!....what am I saying I bass fish all year long...( in the US)

ps stick to what works!

Nite nite!

Dan