Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 115's Club

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

115\'s Club

115’s Club

I have always wanted to start my own Bass Club, just never had an idea that I thought could fly, until now. After many hours of discussion, thought, and preparation, I have put together an idea for a Bass Club that I think will help to fill in a niche that the industry seems to be lacking at this time.

At the present time there are several types of Tournament Bass Fishing groups, series, clubs etc. that all seem to have their own purpose in the industry. Whether it’s a high profile, big payout series, a HP restricted series, or your small grassroots clubs, there seems to be a place for just about everyone to be competitive on their own skill level.

Currently there are two excellent series in Ontario for the HP restricted angler. However what I have noticed is that many of the anglers (especially newer or beginner anglers) that fish these series have become discouraged by the rising costs in entries/membership fees, selection of lakes, dates etc.

What I have done is come up with an idea for a club that is limited to those very same anglers who wish to still compete in HP restricted events, but with lower overall costs to fish, and best of all, they call the shots. Events will be fun yet remain competitive.

As stated the overall costs to fish will be low. As this will be a club and not a business, 100% of the entries collected will be paid out to the winners. Club Members will have the ability to elect Club Officials. This means that all decisions will be made by those fishing, and not someone else. Particularly the selection of which lakes to fish, how the events will be run and costs of each event to name a few. But perhaps best of all, the club will still remain much like a competitive series including a year end invitational, but again, YOU the anglers call all the shots!

Here is a little more information in detail about what I was thinking about. This is only a start by which things can be built from and decided upon, not what will be set in stone. Once enough interested have joined, only then will the details be worked out in full.

================================

115’s Club

Mission Statement:

The goal of this club will be to provide an affordable, fun, yet competitive atmosphere for the average angler with smaller boats rookie or experienced alike. In addition this club will also act as a stepping stone for beginner anglers who wish to get their feet wet in tournament fishing, but can not yet afford their own boat or the total costs associated with some levels of the sport.

Format:

- Events will be run in a Boater/Non Boater format.

- Prior to each event numbers will be randomly drawn to pair up all Boaters and Non Boaters. Each Boater must register with a Non Boater partner and Vice Versa in order to enter to keep numbers even at each event. However the Boater may not necessarily be paired up with that Non Boater depending on the results of the draw.

- There will be a 5 fish limit per team, per event. Points will be awarded to each competitor in their respected division.

- Season will consist of Five 1 day Qualifier Events, as well as a 2 Day Invitational. Qualification will be based on total points accumulated during all of the Qualifying Events in which the top 50% of each division will make the cut.

Tournament Info:

Dates & Locations:

- Possible Dates (which do not currently conflict with any of the other restricted HP series) are as follows:

Date Location(s)
    Qualifiers:
    - June 23rd & 24th TBA
    - July 21st & 22nd TBA
    - Aug 11th & 12th TBA
    Invitational:
    - Sept 29th & 30th TBA

- Locations will be decided based on a vote completed by a minimum number of interested members. Locations will be finalized with the corresponding dates as such when lake and launch site availability is determined.

- List of possible lakes/locations to be voted for:

- Lake Couchiching- Washago or Orillia
    - Balsam Lake- Balsam Lake PP
    - Cameron Lake- Fenelon Falls
    - Sturgeon Lake- Lindsay
    - Lake Scugog- Caesarea or Port Perry
    - Tri-Lakes- Emily PP or Bridgenorth
    - Rice Lake- Hastings or Bewdley
    - Seymour Lake- Monument
    - Bay Of Quinte- Belleville or Trenton

Points System:

- Points will be awarded equally to both Boater and Non Boater for each event. Total points at end of season will determine AOTY and parings for Invitational.

- Point System will be based on Weight and Finishing Position and calculated as follows:

- Position

- 1st 100
    - 2nd 99
    - 3rd 98
    And So forth…

- Weight

- Top Weight: 100 Points
    - Next closest and so forth: Rounded Percentage of Top Weight Times 100

- Example:

- Top Weight: 18lbs 100 + 100 = 200 Points
    - Next Weight: 16lbs 99 + 89 = 188 Points
    - Next Weight: 15lbs 98 + 83 = 181 Points

- Weight Points Calculations:

18 / 18 X 100 = 100
    16 / 18 X 100 = 88.8 = 89
    15 / 18 X 100 = 83.3 = 83

Entries & Payouts:

- Events will be $50 (no GST as this will be a non profit club) Per Person (Boater or Non Boater). Invitational will be free entry for both Boater and Non Boater in the top 50% of their respected divisions based on total accumulated points.

- $10 per Person per Event for Big Fish Pot.

- $10 Membership Fee at the beginning of the season to help cover the costs associated with the club events.

- Qualifying Events will be paid out at 85% with the remaining 15% going towards the Invitational.

- Pay Structure (Based on Full Club/Field of 60 Teams) for each qualifier will be as follows. There will be 1 Pay Spot for every 6 Teams to a Maximum of 10 Pay Spots or 60 Teams.

================================

As I said this is all still up in the air at this time. Just wanted to get the word out and see how much interest there is for a club such as this. If anyone is interested or has any questions, please feel free to post, U2U, or contact me at the following address. Take care!

Aric Stoner
    Bobcat93dl@hotmail.com

Don't forget to get insurance... you will be looking at a minimum of $20,000.00+ to start plus at least another $5,000.00+ in Brokerage fees if you go at it on your own. These fees are yearly. And if you do not pay promptly you will also be looking at late fees and the insurance will become null and void. There maybe a 30 day window with some policies as well when starting, or restarting. Too many people have thought they were covered in the past from their parent organization only to findout they never were.

I'd hate to be in an event if there was no coverage. All it takes is one little small accident / incident and you and your group are done.

And it does not matter the size of the club, generally they look at the number of events. Tournaments, meetings etc.

FYI you may want to look at hooking up with any organization currently out there. They will have insurance in place. You will be paying at least $35.00 CDN for coverage per person if you do.

This insurance will cover any and all members, 3rd party, AD&D etc.

my 2 cents

Thanks for the FYI Kenneth, never really thought of that! Didn't know it was absolutely necessary for clubs to have it. Just curious though, why is it? Seeing as how everyone has to have insurance on their boats/tow vehicles anyways, wouldn't that cover pretty much everything? What about waivers? Thanks again!

Aric

The reason you need insurance is that if someone is injured at one of your tournaments, they can sue the tournament officials and club.

For example:

Someone (Boater A) in your club tournament hits a swimmer and kills them. The family will sue Boater A and also the club officials (including the president which most likely will be you).

Boater A's insurance will cover Boater A, but no one else. All club officials will be left without any coverage. Even officials with boat insurance will not be able to get help because thier boat was not involved.

Also, unless the swimmer has signed the waiver, they can still sue. So obviously they don't help at all.

This has the potential to financially ruin you.

That is why insurance being coverd by the BASS Federation is such a big part of the OBF Clubs.

Makes perfect sense now that I look at it like that! Thanks for the info guys! I think I might want to rethink how I go about doing this!

Aric

Very well explained Reid.
    I'm not sure if it is mandatory to have insurance on your boat... Also, you have to make sure with your insurance company that you are covered during tournaments.

If you are fishing in the organized Bass Tournament you will find somewhere in the rules that you must have at least one million dollars in liability insurance on your boat and in addition to that, be able to produce a copy for the tournament officials. You are also correct that you must notify your insurance company that you plan to fish tournaments. They can refuse coverage if they do not approve or were never notified.

If you could get around the insurance thing every Tom, Dick and Harry would be running tournaments.

Originally posted by Wayne Barlow
    Very well explained Reid.
    I'm not sure if it is mandatory to have insurance on your boat... Also, you have to make sure with your insurance company that you are covered during tournaments.

You cannot run anything at 100% payback.

Some things you might need..

-Scales/ tents/ tables/etc
    -Insurance, as others mentioned
    -Stationaries for rules, weigh-in slips, payout envelopes etc.
    -Laptop for keeping records, stats, and keeping in touch with everyone/thing...as you might know from reading alot of the posts here, your going to want to cover your ass
    -Web site costs
    -Hall rentals for functions
    -Travel
    -Monies to co-op with sponsors
    -Postage costs
    -Phone bill(s), yes your going to have to keep that cell phone close
    -Your going to need a float to cover angler's bounched checks, misc. short falls, general payables, and possible errors in pay-out
    -Trophies
    -All Your Free Time

Not to discouage you. If its just a few guys out for a lark on an afternoon your fine. Anything bigger than you've got to be buisness minded.

Wayne with your last sentence... FYI in some cases your insurance only covers you and the boat... not your partner's "actions." Some people may not be aware of this little point. (all policies are different) So if your partner does anything wrong... your covered - they are not. But you will also be named / sued! (Club insurance / Tournament insurance helps.)

For all those that have ever belly ached about tournaments in this province, know this, there is a very large insurance cost to cover all circuits, from their equipment to the staff.

Insurance is not cheap! Be aware of what your covered with. And be sure that the circuit is actually paying the providers! its easy to ask for the certificate for that event. In cases, some may have just one certificate with a beginning date and ending date.

This is just an example: When the OBF runs any large event, Qualifier, 6 Man or Casting Kids Finals, (or if a specific chapter needs to provide it to the city, location) we have the certificate with us at all times. (It will even name the event, location and the specific dates.)

I know of one organization that said they paid, they never did... They were lucky that no one ever got hurt during the course of the year!

Final thought to really consider, if your hosting a meeting in a local pub / school where ever... the roof falls in, or there's a fire, something... your hurt... etc. Your family decides to sue for damages... and your club is not covered...! be aware that they will go after the club, and the board of that club. Being a volunteer these days costs!

I'm a Leader with Scouts Canada as well. You would be surprized by the costs to cover and have insurance in place. Each event and detail is planned out weeks in advance at times to make sure everyone is covered. Last year for a child to belong to Scouts Canada, $135.00 (approx) yes some went to help pay for the materials over the course of the year... but a huge portion is for insurance.

all this is food for thought!

Aric, you stated that this would be a Bass Club, not a tournament circuit so just affiliate with an organization such as the OBF and your off to the races with minimal hassels........I'm sure Ken can fill you in with the details.

Jeff,

I could because I am already equipped with most of that which is needed.

- Scales, anyone can make up a tri-pod and use a hanging handheld digital scale for a small tournament. Tables, I have plenty, my mom goes to a lot of auctions lol. Tents, I have two lol, One 12' X 12' and One 10' X 15'.

- Insurance, well ya got me there lol

- All Stationaries needed would have been sponsored by my Dad's computer Store, Cyberstoned. And I own a laptop. Website costs, I could run it off as a link of my dads website, again which would be sponsored.

- Hall Rentals, never thought of that, but I see no problems with getting together at someones house if set up propperly.

- Travel, I would be fishing anyways so it would fall under my own tournament expenses.

"Monies to co-op with sponsors". Not sure what you mean by that lol. I guess I look at a sponsor as anyone willing to donate time, money or product to benefit the club in return for advertisement. Why should I be paying sponsors? Wouldn't I then become just a customer who is part of a club?

- Postage costs would be a minimum due to the fact I would send everyone I could any info by e-mail, and any paper tranactions so to speak can be done at the tournament site.

- Phone Bills, well I guess that would be a legitimate expense depending on what plan you have.

"Your going to need a float to cover angler's bounched checks, misc. short falls, general payables, and possible errors in pay-out" Well I guess that makes sense, however I was planning on doing everything in cash on the morning of. That way no room for bounced checks and everyone gets paid immediately after the event in CASH!

- Trophies, not difficult to make on your own with the right tools & materials. Most of which I do have access to. But realisticly if its a small club the members would decide is it worth our extra couple of bucks to put together a small fund in order to cover the costs of it. Not saying they wouldn't, just a possibility. Like I said, I won't necessarily be running the show, so every decision would all come down to the decisions made by the club and its members as a whole.

- And My Free Time, like I said, I will be fishing, and if this were to fly, and I would finally belong to a club to fish tournaments, they will have all the free time I can spare!

As said in my original post, I have put a LOT of time, discussion and thought into all this, and these were things I have already thought of, well most of them! :O Take care!

Aric

Originally posted by AricStoner
    As said in my original post, I have put a LOT of time, discussion and thought into all this, and these were things I have already thought of, well most of them!
    Aric
    I have generally avoid getting into a discussion on what it takes... your above sentence... uhm... your still missing about another 75%+ of what it takes... you really need to think... and getting your answers here on this board, may help...

but you'll also have to figure out what your missing on your own...

have fun!

Tom the OBF would never allow a club/chapter to be so centered in on one specific hp class. There are many more that would benefit from all hp classifications. Besides we do more than just tournaments as well. There are many alternatives out there to best suit each individual and what they want out of a club.

peace

I'm not sure, but how about affiliation with OFAH? Just a thought.
    And your going to need more than one person running the show...someone out on the water for blast off, someone checking boats etc, someone handling registration the morning of the tourny (can't be doing the Tourny Director's job on the water while also handling the business end, checking registrations, insurance, taking money, handing out blast off numbers etc on shore etc)...you will need a few RELIABLE people to run this series...they may want to be paid
    And forget fishing...if you fish your own series and won...well you would get alot of people walking...no running away from your series fast.
    Just some thoughts
    Tom

Ken,heres a question,if the Lindsay Bassmasters holds a tourney and invites other obf clubs we are covered are we not?

Hi Aric,

Just trying to demonstrate the many facits to this from someones whos been there.

About the co-op thing... You might have sponsor whom can only come to the table with product for sponorship, and say its substantial. The sponsor is bying in for exposure & advertising in return. So in order to facilitate this and lock down the deal you'll have to agree to do this by using club monies and/or assets. This is usually thought media advertising in one way or another whether it be on shirts & hats, posters, internet, radio, print media, etc.

You'll find that these types of partnerships go alot further than just give and take ones. Keep in mind that major sponsors might want a say in your day to day activties as now you represent then.

Cheers