Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Kingston Canadian Open of Fishing (2010)

brown fish would be the smart decision, but if you have ever seen the giant largemouth swimming around waupoos you might think different lol. No wind would be awesome !!

Don't forget, this is a pro/ am. Your weight adds to the pros weight and 99% of the pros will do anything to have you add to the livewell. Tackle, rods/ reels etc. Most pros will be ready to have rods rigged for the NB already. Sometimes to much tackle is to much tackle. Have everything ready and let the pro inform you the night before what to bring. Most pros will have a solid prefish done and a gameplan, that can change any minute on the water as they figure patterns out.

As for the prefish go's some pros like a helper some don't, so don't be dissapointed if as an amateur you don't get invited for practice. Even though its a combined weight tournament some guys are not comfortable giving away there spots. Its just a respect thing and it is NOT the pros obligation to bring his am either. As for the rods deal most guys will carry an extra few rods for you, but not a full set-up for you. As the tackle issue go's I personally will make sure my am gets what ever He/she needs!

Thanks everyone....

I understand the format and that the boater will be there to help and offer assistance...but I want to be able to make sure I too am on my best game.

I've been tournament fishing for quite a while now. Like the boater, I want to be prepared and to not be what I learned recently; just be there as a "donor!" I am a NB in this tourney but feel that's still 50% of the team. So if the situation was reversed and I was the boater, I'd want and hope the same from my partner. That they too were doing all they could.

I guess it's the type of person i am and think I suffer from mild OCD. I like a game plan and hate relying soley on others.

Please understand; this is nothing against the organizing and I am extremley stoked about the tournament but feel paying $600 to fish as a NB warrants some consideration for the ease of transitioning from 3 different boaters. I want to fish and have fun, not stress over making sure I'm out the boaters way and have what I need the night before...did I tell ya I suffer from OCD?

As well, like all of you I'm sure, I spend a ton of money on equipment and tackle so why not use it during the highest profile and most expensive tourney I'll fish this year.

Again, please undestand I'm not complaining at all...just want to be prepared. And we all know, a huge part of tournament fishing is not equipment but mental preparation. I guess to me, not knowing anything until the night before will be a mental breakdown.

I have a bad mental picture of me running around Confed Basin, if that's where it will be, looking for my next day partner to ask "what do I need to bring and do?" when that time could be used for better things;

....relaxing with a cold beer around the pool!?LOL

Again, I mean no disrespect...

Cheers,

Paul

hey if i get put in the same boat as hunter for this tournament...I know he'll make me be the net guy yet again!!!!! even though i taught him everything he knows!

Guys,
    your making it to difficult most will be fishing smallies so plan for that, its not the first day on the water for most of you guys so tie on your comfort / confidence baits the ones you as anglers have done well with. Plan on a jerkbait rod , spinnerbait rod which you can use for both largies and smallies . Senko rod again for both , tube, dropshot and shakeyhead. The only thing you might be doing is cutting off baits to change colour or jig weight and then bring a heavy frog/flipp'n just in case .Less is always better for most of the boaters.Plus they carry more than enough baits to supply all the anglers in the tournament so don't worry were a team for the day we got each others backs. Good luck to all see you in Kingston can't wait...
    D

"Plus they carry more than enough baits to supply all the anglers in the tournament".....lol ain't that the truth. Can't wait for this one as well !

Originally posted by Mike Nabulsi
    "Plus they carry more than enough baits to supply all the anglers in the tournament".....lol ain't that the truth. Can't wait for this one as well !
    I do thats for sure lol Really looking forward to this tournament as well !?LOL

Originally posted by jacko/educast
    Guys,
    your making it to difficult most will be fishing smallies so plan for that, its not the first day on the water for most of you guys so tie on your comfort / confidence baits the ones you as anglers have done well with. Plan on a jerkbait rod , spinnerbait rod which you can use for both largies and smallies . Senko rod again for both , tube, dropshot and shakeyhead. The only thing you might be doing is cutting off baits to change colour or jig weight and then bring a heavy frog/flipp'n just in case .Less is always better for most of the boaters.Plus they carry more than enough baits to supply all the anglers in the tournament so don't worry were a team for the day we got each others backs. Good luck to all see you in Kingston can't wait...
    D

Well said. Cant wait for this one!

Thanks everyone.

In all my years of fishing Lake Ontario, and it being pretty much being in my back yard, never really targeted smallies out there. I'm more of a walleye, pike and lm fisherman. So this is new to me.

It's going to be a fantastic event and can't wait!

Cheers

Pro-ams

I bring only top of the line Shimano equipment with maybe a few Loomis thrown in for good measure..happy if my partner(am) keeps equipment to a minimum...part of the am experience is getting to fish with the best equipment in my opinion...part of the learning....;)

Senior Member MichaelVandenberg's Avatar
    Got the call today. I am in on the non-boater side. Filling out the form now.

Mike

Unfortunately,I had to give up my spot due to an illness in the family.Blood is more important than water.Good luck and have fun.
    Eddie