Thread: Berkley B1 Press Release - June 2010

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Berkley B1 Press Release - June 2010

For Immediate Release

Locked & Loaded
    New major sponsor ups the ante for a full field of competitors

With the Berkley B1 Canadian Bass Open now only 4 months away, organizers are proud to announce that the pre-determined field of 150x competitors is now officially full. Bass anglers from across Canada have signed up for this two day extravaganza set to take place this October 2-3 on the waters of Lake St-Francis out of Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Quebec. The impressive list reads like a who's who of the Canadian fishing industry, featuring reputable names such as Bob Izumi and Angelo Viola to mention a few. "We are absolutely ecstatic about the incredible support that Canadian bass anglers have shown towards the Berkley B1. With the best of the best participating and competing for top honours, we feel obliged to deliver an event like no other." states Ben Woo, President, Berkley B1 Canadian Bass Open. "In fact, in appreciation to those anglers who believed in us and showed unwavering support for the event, we are proud to announce that our 1st place prize will jump from the advertised $25,000 to an unprecedented, $60,000 total value."

Signing on as the new exclusive presenting sponsor of the Berkley B1 is outboard motor manufacturer, Evinrude. Known for its long and innovative history in the world of marine performance, and having just celebrated its 100th anniversary last year, the BRP-owned Evinrude has always been a strong supporter of bass fishing competitions. "We recognize the magnitude of the Berkley B1 tournament and how important a role it plays in the Canadian fishing scene. This event represents the highest performance in its category, as does our Evinrude E-TEC outboard engines." claims Krista Heidgerken, Senior Promotions and Tournaments Coordinator for BRP's Evinrude outboard engines. Evinrude raises the bar and takes the originally advertised $25,000 first place prize and upgrades it to two(2) 2011 Evinrude E-TEC 250HO outboard motors including rigging accessories. Valued at over $60,000, winners of the Berkley B1 will also be treated to a turnkey install of the new power units courtesy of Maple Grove Marine, a major Evinrude dealer in Quebec. This now raises the total prize value to more than $130,000.

The Berkley B1 Canadian Bass Open, now powered by Evinrude. Are You Ready to B the 1?

Brought to you by:

Download the Complete Press Release Here

Great job Ben and B1 staff!!!!

Dave Kennedy

This is definately great news! I am curious to know what is being done with the $25,000 if these are donated motors?

Thanks Chris.

Chris , the 2 motors add 35k to the 1st place price, and if you add the original 25k prize value, it gives you 60k. There is no way 2 x 250 Etec's cost 30k each. Just my thoughts.

Cheers, Frank

Charles Sim and Nigel Touhey 30+ lbs bag ? thats a who's who to me ....

Charles who? :P

just kidding buddy

Steve

Really glad I signed up for this one!! Now I just need directions to the lake.

Just to clarify, the 25K cash has been REPLACED by 2x Evinrude 250HO motors including all rigging materials and installation. Should the winners still wish to receive originally advertised 25k cash instead of the motors, the B1 will gladly offer the cash instead. For the record however, the motors retail for 24k each plus rigging and installation.

TOO bad you couldn't bring a B-2 down to southern ontario.............maybe lake st.clair

I understand that the 25K prize money has been replaced with 2 brand new E-Tec motors which is great to see a major sponsor jumping onboard & providing the motors. I also realize that the motors are worth more than the original prize money as well, which is great. What I would like to know however is if Evinrude is providing the B1 with these two new motors, then what is happening with the 25K in cash from the entry fees? Was that used to pay for part of the motors? Shouldn't the money be incorporated with the motors or dispersed amongst the other pay spots? Just looking for some clarity here as I'm looking forward to fishing the tournament again this year...I'm just not a big fan of surprises or things changing without some notice or asking the anglers who are fishing the tourney what they think about potential changes to prizes, rules, etc...When it comes to tournament fishing cash is always king; at least to most of the guys that I've spoken with or competed against over the years. It's a lot easier to put cash in the bank then trying to deposit a new motor. Don't get me wrong & I'm not coming down on the B1 for getting more sponsors on board, I think it's great for the industry...I'm just looking for some answers that's all..

Not free motors

Mike,

The way I understand it from a conversation I've had with the organizers, the motors were not free and the winners will have the option of taking the 25K cash instead.

So for you, if you prefer the cash, nothing changes for you.

Pat

Forgive me for a stupid question but does that mean we can take $25,000 each or between both guys ?