Thread: Side Imaging in the Shallows? You bet!!!

Side Imaging in the Shallows? You bet!!!

Radioworld Pro-Staff Danny Dunn was at it again on the weekend taking a 2nd place finish in the Downtown Bass club event held there.

He used his Lowrance StructureScan in less than 5 feet to locate his fish. Click here to read about how he did it --> Radioworld Blog

-Lawren

Very cool!!

Does Radioworld do installations?

I have 2 HD units and a whole bunch of NMEA wires and connectors. Have tried to network them on my own with pictures but no luck. If I add down and side imaging capability to the system as well I want it to be installed correctly.

Goes to my wife's advice of the past 35 plus years of marriage. Only tools I should be able to use is the pen and the checkbook. ?LOL

Pat

Hey Pat

We don't do installs here at Radioworld. However if you have 2 HDS units the networking is very easy. You can share Waypoints, Sonar, and GPS all through Ethernet which is a 1 cable connection. All you need is a Lowrance Ethernet cable linking the two units. It would plug into the Yellow port on the back of each unit.

Added the StructureScan in the future would be very simple...it just requires another Ethernet cable to the StructureScan box

-Lawren

Chad at Rainbow Sports in Waterloo does GREAT install work, very reasonable rates, clean and professional job.

Would be nice to see settings ... I have a hard time getting my HDS units with SS to see anything in less than 15 ft of water.

Anybody with any setup tips ?

Richard
    Have you checked out Bass Boat Central's Lowrance forum. Great information, screen shot interpretations, and tips

Thanks for the info Lawren. Ethernet cable ordered. Surely even I can connect one lousy cable. Do I power up both units, or is it similar to the NMEA where only one is powered?

Hey Lawren/Danny:

How about posting some of your actual images of what was seen. Some of us are having trouble actually identifying what we are seeing.

Also, what particular colour palette do you recommend on the HDS units?

Many thanks

No problem I will be back out after the classic. I use the grey scale.

Peace Out

Dan

Originally posted by RichardWolowicz
    Would be nice to see settings ... I have a hard time getting my HDS units with SS to see anything in less than 15 ft of water.

Anybody with any setup tips ?
    Richard, I don't change the default settings on my StructureScan much at all. Out of the box it performs execptionally well. I found I didn't have to adjust it near as much as traditional sonar.

The only thing I really play with is the frequency and contrast. I don't have a rule of thumb as to when to use either frequency, but I have found recently that using both over the same piece of structure can reveal different things.

As far as contrast, adjust that like you adjust your sensitivity. Usually between 50-80% is where I have mine.

Originally posted by Pat Kennedy
    Thanks for the info Lawren. Ethernet cable ordered. Surely even I can connect one lousy cable. Do I power up both units, or is it similar to the NMEA where only one is powered?
    There is no power cable for the Ethernet. Just plug it in and go!

Originally posted by RSMorgans
    Hey Lawren/Danny:

How about posting some of your actual images of what was seen. Some of us are having trouble actually identifying what we are seeing.

Also, what particular colour palette do you recommend on the HDS units?

Many thanks
    I haven't taken a lot of screen shots myself this year, but if you would like an opinion on what you have post them up and I'll take a look. If you aren't sure how to post pics email them to me and I will do it.

I like the new blue color palette that was added on version 4.0 the best. Second to that the grayscale, and then the original brown Lowrance came out with. This is all personal preferance though. Experiment with them all and see what works best for you.