Thread: Simrad NSS Video

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simrad NSS Video

The Simrad NSS has been very well received at Radioworld by the BigFatBass members who have dropped by to check it out. If you haven't been able to come by here is a short video showing how easy it is to use.

Simrad NSS Video

We'll have these units at the Toronto Boat Show for sale so come check them out

-Lawren

Totally looking forward to putting one of those in the dash this spring!

Peace Out

Dan

Hey Lawren,
    That is very cool.

Any idea when Humminbird or Lowrance are going to have touch screen technology? They must be working on it, if not they should be.

Thats a cool new product and some great features but I do have some concerns about the touch screen.

Cold weather you will have to remove gloves?

Wet hands will you have to dry them?

When driving in any type of chop the touch screen will be difficult to navigate?

Any answers to my questions. I know everyone was busy during Christmas but if you get a chance please respond.

Had I known fully how sweet the unit was Bob before I ordered my Gen2 Lowrance gear, I would havce gotten one for sure That being said, I do not have one here to play with but common sense allows me to answer your questions with some confidence.

It is not just your finger that can access a touch screen, look at an iPhone, same deal there. It is just a point of pressure that is read by the touch grid.

You don't dry your hands to use the same iPhone and being a marine unit I can assure you it is built for function and use within the marine environment.

Pushing a button on a screen or usualy keypad is no diffferent, if you can access your keypad buttons you can also activate buttons on a touch screen.

Now, should I call Navico and change that order or not? Hmmmmm.

I don't have an Iphone so I dont know how it all works. But as a fisherman who gets wet hands, wears gloves and gets bounced around in a boat I do have a few questions.

I played with it today and it crashed (i.e. could have been bad power feed)...lol... In addition to the touchscreen the unit has a twirly wheel/button that allows you to really zip through stuff quickly and I do not think cold weather operation should be a challenge.

I think we need to clarify whether the Lowrance stock transducers are compatible...apparently ss and sonic hub are compatible so I suspect the transducers should be as well.

I would seriously consider the unit if you can stomach the cost and frankly I thought it was the easiest, fastest and most intuitive machine I have ever used and Jack did not pay me to say that

Originally posted by Oliver Grigull
    played with it today and it crashed (i.e. could have been bad power feed)...lol...that said it was a wonder to use and can hardly wait to have Lawren demo it for me. That said i am seriously considering this unit. besides the touch screen, it has a twirly button that u can really zip through stuff.
    Are you running an HDS unit with structure-scan currently on your boat?

Yes, I currently run an HDS 8, 7 and two 5's with structure scan on all units except one 5.

Then your half way there. I was considering this unit until I found out the price is just for the head unit. I would have to add the structure scan box, both transducers, and the power supply cord. It made getting it pretty pricey and more then I wanted to invest. It is a sweet unit that's for sure.

Bob - Sorry I must have missed this post over the holidays. The NSS touch screen is very responsice and I can't see there being any issues in the cold. Water may cause a little more of a problem, but not much you can do about that when you are talking about touch screen units. This unit is by far the easiest unit to use that I have ever seen. It is extremely responsive and when you are in rough watch it shouldn't be hard at all. Like Oliver mentioned the keypad on the unit is very useful if you don't want to use the touch screen.

Andrew - Lowrance won't have touch screen anytime soon by the looks of it. They have released teh HDS Gen2 information and they are not touch screen...so those units should take us the next 3-4 years with Lowrance. Simrad is under the Navico umbrella like Lowrance so if you want touch screen your going to have to do to a Simrad. Can't speak for Humminbird, but their current 800, 900, and 1100 units have been around for a while now and a face lift is probably in the works.

If you have a HDS currently on your boat with LSS, Sonar, NMEA 2000, or Ethernet all you need to replace is the power cable and mounting bracket when going to a NSS unit. The LWX1 Sirius Weather will not work, but Simrad has their own should you want that option

-Lawren