Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alabama Rig -yes? no?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alabama Rig -yes? no?

Wondering how anglers feel about the use or not of this rig in TB tournaments this year. Should there be a limit to the kinds of rigs allowed or does anything go?

Are you asking this on behalf of Ted ?

Last time someone took it upon themselves to do a survey for a tournament series on BFB it caused the owners a bit of anguish.

Na Mike thats not Jacks thing.Ithink the main thing in any tourney is a even playing field,so i say throw that thing in a pile of weeds on the lakes we fish and if ya get em good for you.Ill have one on next weekend.

Randy you cant use them in the 6 inches of water you fish in lol.

Randy doesn't fish in 6" of water, thats where the boat sits. He is sight fishing dorsal fins in 3" of water!

Gonna need a steel pole to throw it around the Kawartha Lakes. Pick up so much weed with 5 hooks, it will take a steel pole to pull the rig back to the boat. Or maybe you will be pulling the boat back to the rig:O

Kinda like using an 800 lb. goalie isn't it? Not very sporting.

Originally posted by mikebertin
    Kinda like using an 800 lb. goalie isn't it? Not very sporting.
    You can still score on an 800 pound goalie due to a very large 5-hole and can't bend over. OK that sounds wrong.

I just think if the MNR/regs allow it then its alright but in tournaments its totally up to the series... I don't really think it should be allowed

I think we all need to consider what exactly we are trying to ban here. Is it a particular lure or a multi hook presentation?

If you feel its multi hook presentation, lets include drop shot incorporating a jighead as the weight, double fluke (donkey) rig & tail-gunner topwater rig too.

Originally posted by Mike Nabulsi
    Are you asking this on behalf of Ted ?

Last time someone took it upon themselves to do a survey for a tournament series on BFB it caused the owners a bit of anguish.
    Mike - No I'm absolutely not asking this on behalf of Ted or anybody else. Just myself (I tend to fish shallow water and can't quite picture using a rig like that in the crapola I love to fish). the rig was banned in the BASS Elite series if I'm not mistaken. Just curious what others thought about it.

Whoooops. Should have made a post on the Bass Tournament Talk page as there is already a thread there on the topic.

Jack, it runs in a bath tub, it will run weedless as well ! This rig has uses 3/0 EWG texas rigged swim baits

Alabama Rig - Video Link

That looks cool Mike. I can't wait to try a rig this summer. Looks like the flipping stick will be used for another purpose.

I think in ontario we're limited to three hooks, but I could be mistaken.

This rig reminds me of a cliched joke where when the angler doesn't know what to tie on, he just ties everything on and starts flailing. Or those crappie boats with eight rods spidered off the bow in holders.

I see this as a huge difference from a two-lure rig...even fly fishing purisits will fish a dry fly with a nymph dropper.

Lets call it what it is: The Alabama Spreader.

Senior Member Peter Elphinstone's Avatar
    Yes, allow it.