Thread: Tungsten - Size Matters - Big Time!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tungsten - Size Matters - Big Time!

Guys,

With all of the brands of tungsten on the market today, it's important to know the difference in product. Not all tungsten is created equal and I thought instead of telling you, show and tell would be better.

Hookset represents Picasso - for those of you who don't know, Picasso purchased all of TruTungsten's molds after the company went under and TruTungsten is now Picasso Tungsten.

Profile - Size Matters.

First, there is a noticeable and important size difference between Picasso and ALL other tungsten brands on the market; Strike King, Ultra, Eco just to name a few.

Pictured here is a Picasso 1.5 oz Watermelon Seed versus a 1.5 oz from one of the competitors - before you ask, competitor tungsten are all the same size.

The profile difference is pretty significant. The Picasso Tungsten 1.5 oz is noticeable slimmer in profile and shorter - this is consistent regardless of the size you are comparing. Big Deal? Well, if you're like me and flip a lot, that smaller profile weight makes a huge difference when your trying to flip in nice and quiet. Punching Mat - even more important because getting that weight through the mat is way easier the thinner the profile of the weight.

Do bass notice the difference? - sure they do. There's a huge advantage by having a smaller profile weight in almost ever instance. Size matters and that profile sitting on the bottom makes a pretty significant difference to your fishing. Keep in mind that the bulkier the weight, the more you also deaden sensitivity. Picasso Tungsten will give you a definite advantage when sensitivity matters most.

Here's a profile shot with both a Picasso 1.5oz and a competitor 1.5oz on their side. Again, pretty easy to spot the difference.

Bore Diameter

Now for those of you who peg your weights - wait, oh yeah, we all peg our weights, the hole-through diameter on weights is probably the most important element of the product you're using other than profile. Now, ever have your peg not fit the hole in the weight quite right and it's caused you to keep readjusting your weight after almost every flip because it keeps sliding up the line? Of course, because the bore hole-through diameter is too large and the peg slides on the line.

Picasso Tungsten uses a special process to bore their holes in their product - they are the only ones that have this process and it's important because it reduces the hole-through in a big way and makes for easier pegging AND - NO LINE FRAY - both the hole-through diameter and line fray are a major issue with competitor products. With Picasso, you never have to worry about line fray and minimizes having to readjust your weight constantly.

Here's an image that shows the difference.

Guys, if you're looking for Picasso and your dealer doesn't have it, please ask or IM me and I will call the dealer and speak with them directly. In the meantime, call Ed at Paddletales and place your order. He's seen the difference first hand and will have a load of tungsten coming in the next few weeks.

bought all the molds? hmmmm

You got it Derek.

http://www.picassooutdoors.com/Picas...%20weights.htm

Picasso has been involved in the R&D of tungsten since 2004 and has the only time-tested manufacturing processes to produce the highest quality of insert free/ fray free 97% tungsten weights on the market today. The Picasso Flipping Weights are designed to penetrate structure such as matted grass, and also make flipping docks and working through wood and vegetation much easier than is possible with traditional lead weights or those of lesser tungsten content. The added sensitivity due to the increased density and hardness of tungsten also helps the angler detect more subtle bites that would otherwise be missed, and the concave bottom of the Picasso Flipping Weights is designed to fit soft plastics and allow a more life like action. Picasso's super tough Duraseal coating on the Picasso Tungsten Flipping Weights is also ultra smooth and resists chipping for long lasting color.

Matt

Careful what you state publicly.

I would love to take an Eco Pro Tungsten product and place it side by side along your "Picasso Tungsten".

Come by to the Sportsmen Show tomorrow, we can chat. I can be found at several booths. If you like call me.

U2U with my cell will be sent momentarily.

Cheers, Eugene

Eugene, Love to but hopefully by about 4pm tomorrow I'll be staring at the waters of Lake Okeechobee.

Have fun at the show.

Guys, if you're looking for additional info on Picasso/TruTungsten story this is a great link from BassFan

Picasso is Back!

No problem, I look forward to catching up when you return.

All those points you mention are valid Matt. I have tried a few different brands that have fallen victim to my hookset. For those of you that have seen or felt my hookset, you know that it packs a punch! I was frustrated trying to figure out why I kept having line breaks on hooksets. I knew it had to be something to do with the weights because when I was fishing with Jigs I had no issues with my Sufix 832 breaking. After paying closer attention more frequently I found slight amounts of the line fray occuring over time. After the line frayed enough it would snap on the force of the hookset. So after being disappointed with a couple different types/brands I finally found one that stood out from the others not only in quality but in consistency! I found the Eco Pro Tungsten to be the most consistent of the bunch. I have not had an issue with line fray or pegs. I also believe that matching up your colours with the baits helps you catch more fish. Eco Pro Tungstens colour selection helps you do just that!
    Attention to detail, or lack there of is what will put you in the top 20% or the bottom!!
    I'm sure everyones is close or somewhat compareable to the average angler but when ounces count, I'll stick with Eco Pro!
    Just my 2 cents.

BUT do they make the flipping jigs now? That's what people want to get a hold of!

Spider jigs should be ready to ship in the next two weeks. I will get you all of the details shortly.

Any more info on the spider jigs making a comeback???

Thanks