I have been getting emails about boat etiquette for amateurs for the Canadian Open. I thought it might be a good topic for the open forum. Some anglers don't know what or how much equipment they can bring, if they should share gas expenses, conduct on board and things of that nature.

Sharing gas expenses - During the actual tournament there is no expectation for sharing gas expenses. Some pros will take gas money particularly if you have had a great day and ran all over the lake. These days it is expensive. If you are pre-fishing you should pay at least half.

Equipment - This depends on the boat. I always tell my amateur they can bring the kitchen sink if they want but I have a big boat. Most will have a bass boat so there is less storage. It best to sort out the tackle you will be using and try to keep it in a bag that will fit in a locker. Don't bring every rod you own unless its under seven and have them rigged and ready. You might want to ask what kind of fishing will you be doing i.e. deep or shallow, largemouth or smallmouth.

Launching and loading - If you have some experience backing a truck up with a trailer and parking with a trailer then you should do it. If you don't know how just tell the pro. They have been through this 100 times or more.

Food and drinks - Bring the smallest cooler you can fit all you are going to eat or drink in. Bring drinks with screw on caps. I personally don't allow coke cans in my boat. If they are half full when moving they will be all over the carpet and they might explode when you first open them from travelling on choppy water.

Bleeding fish - If your fish is bleeding during practice don't let it bleed all over the boat. Hold it over the side. During the tournament its a different matter.

Garbage - never leave garbage in the boat at the end of the day. This is one area where you can help. Get all the garbage together and keep it in a bag in a locker so it doesn't blow out and at the end of the day take it to the garbage can or take it home but never leave anything in the boat.

These are just a few of the important things I can remember right now. You can forge a friendship of a lifetime during these events and you could get asked to fish in the future. All of the amateurs I have fished with have been great to fish with and I have asked them out again when I'm fishing the area. I have a practice partner I fish with every year down in Kingston and I met him during the event. We have a blast together.

All of this information holds true for recreational fishing as well.

Feel free to chime in with other issues but don't scare a potential fishing partner away