Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non Boater/ Co-Angler - Boat Etiquette

Non Boater/ Co-Angler - Boat Etiquette

I have been getting emails about boat etiquette for amateurs for the Canadian Open. I thought it might be a good topic for the open forum. Some anglers don't know what or how much equipment they can bring, if they should share gas expenses, conduct on board and things of that nature.

Sharing gas expenses - During the actual tournament there is no expectation for sharing gas expenses. Some pros will take gas money particularly if you have had a great day and ran all over the lake. These days it is expensive. If you are pre-fishing you should pay at least half.

Equipment - This depends on the boat. I always tell my amateur they can bring the kitchen sink if they want but I have a big boat. Most will have a bass boat so there is less storage. It best to sort out the tackle you will be using and try to keep it in a bag that will fit in a locker. Don't bring every rod you own unless its under seven and have them rigged and ready. You might want to ask what kind of fishing will you be doing i.e. deep or shallow, largemouth or smallmouth.

Launching and loading - If you have some experience backing a truck up with a trailer and parking with a trailer then you should do it. If you don't know how just tell the pro. They have been through this 100 times or more.

Food and drinks - Bring the smallest cooler you can fit all you are going to eat or drink in. Bring drinks with screw on caps. I personally don't allow coke cans in my boat. If they are half full when moving they will be all over the carpet and they might explode when you first open them from travelling on choppy water.

Bleeding fish - If your fish is bleeding during practice don't let it bleed all over the boat. Hold it over the side. During the tournament its a different matter.

Garbage - never leave garbage in the boat at the end of the day. This is one area where you can help. Get all the garbage together and keep it in a bag in a locker so it doesn't blow out and at the end of the day take it to the garbage can or take it home but never leave anything in the boat.

These are just a few of the important things I can remember right now. You can forge a friendship of a lifetime during these events and you could get asked to fish in the future. All of the amateurs I have fished with have been great to fish with and I have asked them out again when I'm fishing the area. I have a practice partner I fish with every year down in Kingston and I met him during the event. We have a blast together.

All of this information holds true for recreational fishing as well.

Feel free to chime in with other issues but don't scare a potential fishing partner away

Good Topic, Its defiantly good out of respect to offer help with gas $, alot of boaters wont take it but I always offer when I fish co-angler tournaments expecially when the boater helps me and I learn something.

Don't be messy. Don't have 3-4 rods out 2 open tackle box's and baits laying all over. Keep It neat.

Because when the pro says WE ARE MOVING.

Get your rod away and sit down NOW.

John is bang on about the pop, I don't allow it either. Also, don't bring drinks or food that will stain carpets like, Jos Louis (crumbles easily and chocolate is a pain to clean) or something with runny mustard all over. I hate having to spend time cleaning up some ones lunch and drinks off of my carpet and seats. Also, Rod Gloves, Bait Gloves and a couple of Rod Wraps to bundle them together. It helps keep hooks out of seats and carpets. Gravol or a Scolopamine Patch is also a good idea if it is rough!!

Bring lure die neutralizer, lol.

I'll follow all your tips this year John. You figure it's OK for me to bring 7 rods, thanks I would have tried to do it with 4.

It was my first Kingston Open last year and I actually fished with John and I couldnt of been paired up with a classier guy. And I am looking forward to this year. Treated me like I was a friend right away. All the pros are great.
    Like neil said alot of the guys wont take the gas money during the tournament, but if you are running all over the place during the tourny or prefishing with someone try and get them to take it.
    As for food and drink I learned that all you really need if anything is just some water and maybe a few snacks because when your fishing time goes by way to fast and you barely have any time to drink and eat anyways.
    Equipment- Best thing to do is to just talk with your pro and ask him how you will be fishing and what techniques will be prominent all day. But definatly depends on the boat also, I found that you only need a few rods anyways because the pros want u to use what they trust in and will give you all the gear you need, so limit ur tackle.
    Launching and Loading- Refer to Johns
    Garbage, etc...-Just clean up after yourself and use common sense, treat the pros boat like it was yours. After the day is over, help them out with anything they need done.
    Once everything is wrapped up go for food and plenty of beer.

John I may not take the kitchen sink but definitely the pantry and some extra PLANO tupperware.

Kurt
    All you need was that stupid piece of Tungsten you caught all the walleye on

What do you guys think about co's smoking in the back of the boat? I do let them smoke, yet last year I discovered a burn hole in my new boat rug and don't know who did it. Still I can't say no to a smoker, 8 hours is a long time to go without. And yes I am a non smoker who hates the smell of it.
    G

Although trying to quit , I still smoke and as a non-boater i always like to ask the boater if it is ok to smoke on boat.
    If yes i try to be very concious of the smoke direction and making sure the ash goes over the side or - recently discovered- these little portable tin ashtrays about size of a sucrets can. That way ash and butts stay in pocket - rather than throw in lake or damaging boat etc .( yes guilty of that myself) . If boater says no then just bring some nicotine gum or spray or candies and that should help if it gets bad. But most of all- please respect the boaters wishes and respect his boat - and take the tips mentioned here and you will have a great day . I can attest to all of them- don't be afraid or intimitaded - talk to your partner - it will make for an awesome day and you will meet some fantastic people and learn alot along with having a great time. Most of it is common courtesy and respect.

Gary I'll be down there again this year, we'll have to meet up....u guys stayin in the same motel as last year?

No GPS's or sharing info about previous days partners locations or techniques

Curtise
    I believe that's actually a rule.

Not one that's always followed unfortunetly...oh and bring a rain suit whether it's calling for rain or not hahaha