Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic question

I think it is pretty cool, giving on th water updates for sure, allows people to follow the unfolding of the event - who has what throughout the day. It has long been the missing link that seperates our sport from so many others - the whole spectator thing... very cool idea - If I had heard and known about it, Rob adn I certainly would have shared our catches throughout the weekend - obviously we needed to pay closer attention at the meeting !!

Don't think the original poster is saying anything except that the wording in the rules may need some revision. I am sure that he sees the opportunities for growing the sport. That doesn't seem to be the issue. A precident has now been set, thus requiring some new wording in the literature or people will have an argument when they are busted for using their phones in another event.

What about sky writing info? Just asking?

Originally posted by toddcrowley
    those were the only 2. while a specific spot wasn't given it was mentioned that 2 fish were caught in the river. my arguement isnt with the on the water updates its with the rule. The rule states very clearly that cell phones are for emergency use only. maybe a change to the rule is in order???
    guess people can't read to well..here read my post again.

You are right Todd, that was an infraction according to the rules. I personally would love to see cells left on shore. What did we do when we didn't have them.

Something should be addressed
    On this as I see this rule broken all the time.

As mentioned this was addressed at the meeting and Andy and NPs staff made the annoucement so effectively is that not the rule change just a thought

Maybe clarified to say...

Allowed: tweeting and texting of current fishing status updates.

NOT Allowed: texts or tweets or status updates or viewing board threads or calling/recieving calls from friends, mothers, brothers, fathers, fellow competitors and/or especially wives who may be on the water sharing info or need milk on the way home.

Lie detectors and phone records please! lol ?LOL

Phil, as funny a guy as you are you've hit the nail on the head. Too many "groups" of guys have been sharing that kind of info during the pre-fish and on tourney days . Cell phones and now social media has enhanced their ability to communicate with each other. NO CELL PHONES PERIOD DURING TOURNEYS!! (if you need to use it then you're in such dire need that you're out anyways) (yes salesmen, exporters, and realestate agents (me included) as well) put the phone down!! If anyone thinks this isn't happening you need to pull your head outta the sand. I'm not bitter about this one way or the other (zero tourneys this year) but the reality is fellow competitors are doing it. They have been for years. It's the information era baby. The no cell phone rule should not only stand but be ENFORCED......

I say let them tweet, I'll be fishing.

Originally posted by Kevin Knox
    It's the information era baby. The no cell phone rule should not only stand but be ENFORCED......
    I think the phone rule should be omitted. Kevin you are right!It is the information era. That will not change, it will only get better or worse depending at how you see it. I don't fish tournaments so my opinion is not intended to get guys backs up. I am also realistic. It is part of the game now. Can't really see the big deal. Guys always say on these boards that you fish against the fish, not the competitors.

I believe the only way to do this, is for scrutineers, spectator boats or volunteers/employees of the tournament organization to be doing the website/twitter or face book updates, the anglers shouldn’t be allowed to read or write updates, or touch their phone unless it’s an emergency. This is what BASS and FLW do.

Allowing cell phone use other than emergencies just provides another gray area that will be taken advantage of or create speculation. Cell phones should be off during competition and only used for emergency. Do we really need another reason to point fingers?

Enforce the rule.

Rules should be black and white.....period!!!

I have seen so many rules broken without penalty and there are so many useless rules that can't be inforced in team tournaments.

If you even look at your phone to check the time...DQ!!!

Black and White

Some of you may remember why the cell phone rule was added to bassmania (long over due). Why blur the lines with allowing phone use for any reason....other than emergency.

The rules don't need to be revised, they need to be enforced.

No cell phones......turn them off and go fishing.

This is not directed at any one organization. In my opinion most here in Ontario are guilty of this. With the exception of Renegade because I have never fished one of their events.

If I am doing poorly after day one, and my buddy is doing very well, phone calls could make his day 2 go very well also. I find fish, he moves in, I move out. The rule is clear. No phones other than emergency. Unfortunately, when rules are not enforced, competitors tend to drift away. Not trying to steal the thread, but I kind of drifted away when my fishing area was encroached by other competitors. The worst part was, the violators were well known in the fishing community and left me with no alternatives. I can see the blatant violation of cell phones causing more damage.

Turn them off?! Then how will I play Brick Breaker on my Blackberry. I can't believe we're still on this. lol!