Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic question

Classic question

Rule number 16 on the website states the use of cell phones by the competitors is for emergency use only.

Another website is haveing a post with one of the competitors in the top 3, in direct contact with them giving on the water updates via text messages...just wondering how this doesn't break rule 16? I made a post about this on the other website and funny how it was deleted.

Any thoughts???

Good point Todd

LOL - I brought the same issue up last year with another group and they quickly retracted their posts - were naive to think that it's not going on.

Another issue could be with smartphones that have navionics apps, google earth apps and some guys use their phone as their GPS now. May be a rule that needs revising.

Good Point

I can't speak for Bassmania in anyway but at the meeting everyone was given the information by National Prostaff and where encouraged to provide live feeds. so there is no rule infraction from what I can see.

Peace Out

Dan

Yeah NPS was asking people to provide live updates by texting to a specific number. The number was distributed at the meeting so no rule infraction. I would guess the rule is in placoe to discourage sharing spot info among other things. I dont think this type of cell communication is detrimental. it is trying to rasise the profile of the sport through social media. Probably be more of it in the future.

if thats the case then csfl needs to take that rule out

The rule is in place to stop communication that may give you a unfair advantage, like calling other anglers or friends for info on other parts of the lake. The rule serves a good purpose and should not be removed.

Not trying to start anything here, but if you are tweeting is it not the same thing. :?

Say a bunch of guys have ther phones on who are fishing the tournament, and someone tweets " Man I just wacked a good smallie and had a bunch follow it " then a couple minutes later from the same guy " The smallies are on fire right now, can't keep them off the line, have my limit and am starting to cull them". I know he is not giving up the spot, but this would indicate that maybe people should be fishing for smallies, I don't know just a thought I had :?.

my point exactly dave. why have the rule if it is only going to be allowed to be broken?

I'm assuming this is all about the csfl classic? Go back and look at the tweets, there is no mention of spots, species or baits. You had to sign up with NPS to send them texts and only them. You could not go on twitter and post updates, you had to send them to NPS and then they were reviewed and re posted. I think it was pretty cool. There are always grey areas in the rule book, we have to police ourselves when it comes to rules.

The only way I see this is an opportunity to grow our sport. If people are interested in our classic, and have a chance to follow a more regular update as the day progresses, they may be more inclined to show up at the weigh-in to see the final results.

In no way was this intended to give up spots, locations or anything that would help fellow anglers. I was so busy I didnt have time to think to look at the posts to see what everyone else is doing.

Also I have read several times now not to fish against the other anglers, but to fish against the fish. I can't control what other anglers are doing even if they post and tell me what they are doing. I can only control what I am doing and what my fish in my waters are doing. That said, lol, I dont do that very well either!!:P

Its a cool idea. It makes sense to modify the standard rules for what are committed and trusted 'clients' in order to introduce tournament fishing via a different medium.

I tuned in...........but I only found updates from Rankie (and 1 from MacDonald). Were there other guys posting?

those were the only 2. while a specific spot wasn't given it was mentioned that 2 fish were caught in the river. my arguement isnt with the on the water updates its with the rule. The rule states very clearly that cell phones are for emergency use only. maybe a change to the rule is in order???

Do you really think anyone fishing the classic wants to give out spots. Yes NPS asked for details and I personaly dont have an issue with guys forwarding information for the public to keep updated. Lets grow the sport, B.A.S.S have basstrac. Flw has basscam or vise a versa, dont know how many post ive read asking for results. wouldnt it be great to have up to date standings live or at least same day. just my two cents.