Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bm lake erie WC

Originally posted by neil
    I agree the Niagara River fishes a little different but with a day or 2 in it, it fishes very good, my opinion better than Quinte or lake Couchiching. If there was tournaments restricted to river only you would see some giant largemouth and smallmouth weighed in.

Ask Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1yU0WKkpEw
    Well said

From one of the "locals"

It hurt to no end that I couldn't be out there but it was my daughter's stag & doe weekend.
    Too much to do on Saturday to prepare. I had my rods ready for Sunday but in no condition after getting home at 3am. At my age I do need some sleep?LOL

Congrats to the winners.

See you on St.Clair in two weeks.

I hate rough water as much as or even more than the next guy, beleive me... I absolutely hate it! You drive slow, take your time, and deal with it - but nobody I know "likes" it! You just have to watch the websites for winds and plan accordingly - and be cautious out there...

With the light winds last weekend, I totally expected at least double the boats last weekend, just dissappointed - not with the CSFL - as always they ran a great event; just shocked that more local guys didn't show up...

the truth re: the upper niagara river is that it too has phenominal fishing! I'm no expert down that way by any means I typiaclly can only get down there a few times a year, but it is truly an amazing fishery. It aint for everybody - but it is loaded with fish and a most viable option... If guys fished it more I think for sure you'd see big weights from the river too... Paul's video is testament to that!

Originally posted by neil
    I agree the Niagara River fishes a little different but with a day or 2 in it, it fishes very good, my opinion better than Quinte or lake Couchiching. If there was tournaments restricted to river only you would see some giant largemouth and smallmouth weighed in.

Ask Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1yU0WKkpEw
    I didn't know there was grouper in the river.

Originally posted by Adler
    This is a lake that can go from zero to defcon five at the blink of an eye, and your wondering why guys are not interested in fishing it? And if it does blow you off the lake, your option is to fish the river drifting at 30 mph dragging a one a half ounce weight just to keep contact with the bottom? Wow sounds like fun.
    Erie is no worse than Lake Ontario in fact Lake O probably gets bigger water more often and it's much further to shore. As for the river there is lots of water with good fish with little to no current. As for Simcoe there's nowhere to hide if you have to come across in that cross chop which is a least as dangerous.

All of these big water tournaments have a level of risk and that's half the battle. If guys can go out on Erie in a bass boat made for skinny water then some of the locals with bigger boats should have no problem if they are cautious.

Here is what I don't get. $5000 pay out and guys are complaining that not enough boats showed up?? I would think that would make those that did show up pretty happy??

The numbers have been down all year in the CSFL and the trend continues I guess. I don't fish the CSFL for whatever reason, nothing personal but to blame local anglers for lack of participation is a crock. Did we blame Quinte anglers for the low numbers in the Quinte CSFL events? Not that I recall....

As already mentioned having 150 anglers at Fed Cup takes a major hit from the totals as i'm sure had this event been planned at another time it would have had 15 + teams of those that were in Quinte. Oversight i guess?

Blaming the rough waters as a reason, is again not valid. Guys will fish where they want to regardless of the weather and size of water. Kingston is WAY worse than Erie and was well attended, Casey Cup and BPS on Simcoe are always well attended and again as previously mentioned, she's no slouch when it comes to boat bashing waves.

I think, and I may get slammed for this by some, that there is a systemic issue with the tournaments in Ontario. There are far too many circuits and far too many events for guys to choose from and not nearly enough anglers to draw from. The tournament industry is going down more and more every year. Costs are rising, paybacks are being more spread out and even when you win, you barely cover your costs, let alone when you come 20th. A weekend to Erie to fish for 5000 costs me easy $500, not to mention if i have a breakdown.

Plain and simple tourny fishing is fun, but is crazy costly both financially and mentally. Lack of support from sponsorship and communities is getting me to the point where i've just had enough with it all.

Andy's last ditch efforts to have bigger fields with guaranteed payouts is both courageous and bold but also destined for failure and will not be able to be sustained. So look forward to fishing for your money back and liking it.

I don't think the CSFL's efforts are last ditched or destined to fail. Andy's and the CSFL crew do and will continue to do a great job!

The man offered $5000 and had 33 boats show up. You think that will be sustainable, cuz i sure dont. My post was not to bash the CSFL merely to point out the flaws of us anglers who like to point fingers at this or that, it didnt work out well for anyone except for the winners....all the rest of us are losers in this one.....

Originally posted by Colin Hunter
    The man offered $5000 and had 33 boats show up. You think that will be sustainable, cuz i sure dont. My post was not to bash the CSFL merely to point out the flaws of us anglers who like to point fingers at this or that, it didnt work out well for anyone except for the winners....all the rest of us are losers in this one.....
    Maybe not at Erie (as surprising as it was), but I have no doubt the other Wildcards will fill. Especially since everyone has a lot more nottice and can arrange time off etc. over the winter. But I guess the proof will be in the pudding when we see field sizes next summer!