Thread: Kingston open as a Non boater

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kingston open as a Non boater

As a non boater for this event do the pros limit whet I can bring ( rods/ tackle). I've never fished the big lake and I'm sure most of the pros will be fishing for smallies so I'm not sure what I would need like rods and tackle
    What I do have is mostly bait casters and only 1 spinning rod and as for tackle mostly shallow water stuff. So what I'm asking is what sort of stuff would I need to get in order to fish the big lake ex weights/ baits/ more spinning rods or am I ok with bait casters
    Chris

I would think that asking this question you might be pushing the line on this rule but I would check with CSFL on that one:

10. Competitors are not permitted to obtain any information from non-competitors who have been on the tournament body of water 8 days prior to the tournament and any cut off times. Additionally, competitors are not permitted to pre-fish with non-competitors who have been on the body of water within 8 days prior to the tournament or during any cut off time. It is not permitted to pre-fish during this time with an angler who has won money on the body of water within 2 years. Competitors are not permitted to render guide services at any time doing so will result in disqualification.

-------------------

Having said that, your best bet would be to discuss this with the Boater you draw for each day of competition, or try and find a day or two to practice the lake. Sorry that my answer isn't of much help, just wouldn't want to see you breaking a rule if you didn't know better....

most of the pros will have gear for you to use. that being said if you have a favorite jerkbait rod or tube rod feel free.

Well, i haven't won that tournament within the last 2 years or even fished there, EVER:!.
    If you are fishing smallies, get some spinning gear, drop shot weights, hooks and lures as well as tubes . At least a couple spinning rods.
    Your boater may want you to use all his eqiuipment though.

Hey Chris,

Definitly come prepared for both largies and Smallies. While most guys will be on smallies, the largies defintly come into play for some people.

Always have a discussion with your partner the night before, he'll be able to give you an idea of what you need for the day, and that will help you to "cull" down what you need to bring. Most of the boaters, have more than enough stuff in the boat to handle any situation that comes up. Also, most boaters have lots of extra rods if needed. Be honest about your equipment, if we're partners, and you've been running the same line since last year, I want to know, I'll gladly let you use some of my stuff. With lots of $$ on the line it's about controling the variables that we can.. I think I heard some KVD guy say something liek that! ?LOL

Talk to some of the non-boaters that have been there, and they'll give you some better first hand knowledge. Around Ottawa, you can chat with Shane Hoad from OVSB, and/or Lindsay Brown (works p/t at Sail), They'll both fished the Open.

LOL, and maybe pick up a few spinning rods over the winter too.

I usually have a seat open during practice if you're fishing it, drop me a line.

Charles

Thanks for all your info.

Definately listen to Charles Chris. Ive fished the open for the last 2 years and all the pros are more than willing to share whatever they have with you including all setups and all lures and baits. For the most part you dont have to worry about bringing anything but still be prepared to fish largemouth and smallmouth but like charles said talk with ur pro the day of the meeting or the night before and he'll tell you the plan. If I was you I would want to add a few spinning rods to your line up. Ill tell you one thing for sure and one thing that is no secret, is to have a drop shot rod in your arsenal too.

But anyways as for me I love to catch fish on my own gear so I insure all my line, lures, hooks, etc... are all as good as they can be that day when I step in that pros boat. The last thing I want to do is loose a bunch of fish for that pro who has alot more money on the line. OH YA AND BRING RAINGEAR! because you are most likely going to get wet.

But in the end you are a team out there everyday of the tournament and from what Ive witnessed the pro will supply you with whatever you need or whatevers working to get you on the fish too.

Cheers.

Chris...as a non for the past 3 years with a strong need to know well in advance what to expect when possible and stressed badly the first year with what to bring, Charles is very much correct.

The only other things I'd make sure I have or are prepared for;

- spray on sun screen and if bug spray needed (unlikely but you never know), bring the wipe style. Bug spray does terrible things to fiberglass boats, windshield etc.
    - offer to bring your boater a lunch and snacks so they can focus on gearing up and preparing
    - bring some cash as well. Although most boaters will not take $$, I feel its a proper gesture to offer and if they do, believe me when I say it's worth any extra penny.
    - keep your licences in an easy to find lanyard. In case you do get asked on the water, better than looking thru bags of tackle or pockets full of used baits.

If you have any questions, you can always pm me and I'd be happy to share my experiences.

Cheers,

Paul

"- keep your licences in an easy to find lanyard. In case you do get asked on the water, better than looking thru bags of tackle or pockets full of used baits."

If at all possible keep them on person. I personally witnessed a buddy of mine get charged because his licence was in his tackle bag and not in his pocket. It's a stupid unnecessary rule but one that could spoil your day if you get stopped by the wrong official.

And always wear rain gear, even if it isn't going to rain. You almost always get wet on Lake Ontario.

Originally posted by AricStoner
    "- keep your licences in an easy to find lanyard. In case you do get asked on the water, better than looking thru bags of tackle or pockets full of used baits."

If at all possible keep them on person. I personally witnessed a buddy of mine get charged because his licence was in his tackle bag and not in his pocket. It's a stupid unnecessary rule but one that could spoil your day if you get stopped by the wrong official.
    Wow...Aric, that must have been an Officer having a really bad day. I know I would have contested that one.

I keep my information in the lanyard around my neck but inside my shirt so it's on hand during tournaments.

Ya thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard Aric, I would of lost it on the officer if he charged me for having my liscence on me, so stupid wow.

That's pretty much what happened lol. I know he said he was going to fight it, I don't know what ever happened of it. We never really discussed it after the incident. I looked in the regs and currently there is nothing that says it's a requirement, but this was a number of years ago so unless something has changed...

Like paul said that officer must of just been having the worst day imaginable lol