Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rule Change for Big Water Tournaments

Agreed, format is probably the issue. No matter what body of water you're on, there is only so many times that many Non's (not all) are going to drop that kind of cash to learn and win prizes before the novelty wears off.

If it’s more affordable or the % payback was increased to equal what the Pro division gets I think you would see more Non Boater participation. Maybe incorporate a cash in conjunction with prize pay structure. And if the sponsorship just isn’t there to make it happen, then maybe we as a Tournament Angling community need to come to the realization that we’re just not at that level yet to operate these types of events.

Alternatively is it a question of a sign of the times, or the format that’s keeping more potential sponsors / companies from getting on board? I really am not qualified or well versed to answer that question, but I know I am not the only one asking it.

Must be October again because I am getting deja-vu, popcorn anyone lol...
    Special Thanks To Erieau Eau Buoy; Bayview Bliss Cabins; Erieau Marina & CyberStoned Computer Systems

Quote Originally Posted by chad_wentzell View Post
    Getting more pro's isn't the issue. If the open can not draw more non boaters simcoe will be a flop as well. Personally I feel the Canadian open should be run as a team event like B1 and BPS. Non boaters paying 200 less then the pro and fishing for donated prizes just isn't cutting it every year its the same story.. 10-20 pros wanting to fish and no non boaters. Sarnia was a perfect example as well. I don't think adding green fish to the mix is the answer but maybe changing the format is. just my 2 cents
    Chad
    Last year there were too many AM's by tournament time. I hope we are not going to have the same problem next year in Kingston. As for Simcoe I believe finding 80 or 100 amateurs will be no problem. It is a two day event, the cost is lower and it is much closer to a larger population. As I understand these events are building towards a series with a new one added in 2015.

As for changing the format, I can't think of a single thing that could make these tournaments better after last year. The pro and am are a team so there is no competing against the guy in the front or back of the boat. It adds a level of excitement and in my experience most of the NB's add a level of skill. Three of my "team partners" turned me into a net man and I was happy for it. Most of them have become good friends.

The venue for this type of tournament has to have all of the facilities and water that can't be pressured and preferably no cottagers association to deal with. The Great Lakes smallmouth population is booming and smallmouth growth rates are such that a lot of teams can produce big weights and it won't harm the fishery. There are very few teams that didn't catch a lot of fish in Kingston and that makes for a much better day on the water. The community has to be able to add to the prize table and be large enough to benefit from the exposure.

I agree it would be great to have a venue where more could participate. The B.A.S.S. and FLW tournaments held out of Clayton were both won in the river where the size of boat is less relevant. There are some huge largemouth in the St. Lawrance and a combination bag could easily win. So as deep water centric as it may seem there is something for everyone.

Considering the above criteria, where would be the perfect venue for everyone that wanted to fish one event of the series?
    Time on the Water Canada

I was not criticizing the kingston open as i have fished it both on the pro and am side. Very well run but the numbers speak for them selves.2 years ago there was not enough non boaters and a lot of anglers were donating spots to solder on. I had no interest in coming as a non boater but that was my only option as there was a list of boaters waiting to get in.Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and as fun as pro ams are i would rather see bigger team events. Its a Northern thing right now , look at the bfl and everstarts the numbers are way down in the north. The everstarts did not even a run a tournament on any of the great lakes last year.

I am seeing a few large mouth only tourneys being posted ,,,,, if you wanna win with large mouth maybe more largemouth only tourneys ,,,,,,,,6 buckets to 5 smallies what if a guy has 2 smallies in his bag can he bring in 3 and a half buckets .........please don't segregate our bass ,,,,, a bass is a bass bucket or smallie ,,,,all bass created EQUAL,,,,I have a dream that one day all bass will be fished and treated equal......please !!!!!! maybe a series that puts you on lakes that have better buckets and lakes that have better smallies that way all anglers will have to be deverse and learn to fish for all species of bass

Quote Originally Posted by chad_wentzell View Post
    I was not criticizing the kingston open as i have fished it both on the pro and am side. Very well run but the numbers speak for them selves.2 years ago there was not enough non boaters and a lot of anglers were donating spots to solder on. I had no interest in coming as a non boater but that was my only option as there was a list of boaters waiting to get in.Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and as fun as pro ams are i would rather see bigger team events. Its a Northern thing right now , look at the bfl and everstarts the numbers are way down in the north. The everstarts did not even a run a tournament on any of the great lakes last year.
    True enough Chad pro am numbers are way down but it could be a sign of the times. There does seem to be an economic barrier for many these days but that is true for team events as well. It could be just a matter of saturation. So many tournaments and not enough time or cash. The tournaments that are doing well are lower entry fee events on smaller lakes where gas and other expenses don't get out of hand. But it would be a shame to loose all of our premier events because we don't support them and everyone's opinion will show in the number of entries. It is certainly an industry in transition.
    Time on the Water Canada