Thread: Hummingbird 997 fried??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hummingbird 997 fried??

Someone posted earlier this year about a 997 frying after a heavy rain.

Was out yesterday in the heavy rain and my 997 locked up. Had to unplug it to shut off.

Lawren et al, any comments on the history here? Has there been a problem with moisture getting into these units?

If my unit is fried due to misture issue, has/will Hummingbird repair and or replace?

Thanks for any input.

Tom Allen
    Last edited by TomAllen; 10-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.

I am not aware of any water intrusion issues with those units. If the unit locked up I would doubt it is water related. Units that lock up are usually problems with power or software. When there is water damage with a unit they usually don't turn on anymore.

First try a software update and then ensure that the unit is getting enough voltage. Keep in mind that will change throughout the day as your battery drains so if this occurred near the end of the day that may be the issue.

If you have an issue with the unit contact Humminbird and they can let you know your service options.

-Lawren
    Radioworld 4335 Steeles Ave West Toronto Ontario M3N1V7 416-667-1000 Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RadioworldInc

Hi Lawren,

Ok great, so no known problems with moisture. I only mentioned that as someone posted this earlier in the year and I think Hummingbird replaced the unit.

No evidence on 997 screen of low voltage issues when I cranked the motor. (wired directly to 1,000 amp cranking battery).

What is current software update for this unit?

The last version I installed was earlier in the spring.

Thanks

This has recently happened to two of my units.
    Some of my waypoints were "corrupted" and the unit had to be cleaned.
    Special thanks to: Mercury Marine, Legend Boats, Rapala, Dragon Eyewear, WOO Tungsten

6.3 is the latest version on the 997. Morgan brings up a good point about backing up your waypoints because if you are having issues with your unit and one day it doesn't turn on you are out of luck.

-Lawren
    Radioworld 4335 Steeles Ave West Toronto Ontario M3N1V7 416-667-1000 Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RadioworldInc

Newest version for Birds has caused me nightmares with my 898 SI HD. Had to go back a couple versions....!
    Pro-Staff for Owner Hooks and Nichols Lures.

Important to make sure all your units(if tied together) have the same version update.
    Pete
    Thanks to: Mr. Pest Control, St. Croix Rods, Radio World, Lews Reels, Anglers Choice Baits, The Rod Glove, Spro Baits and VRX Fishing.

...now that is an interesting piece of info!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Bartonek View Post
    Important to make sure all your units(if tied together) have the same version update.
    Pete
    Pro-Staff for Owner Hooks and Nichols Lures.