Thread: Hummingbird question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hummingbird question

If I'm installing a 998 and a 958 with an Ethernet cable will they run off one GPS antenna or do you need to install both GPS antenna? or do I need to use a splitter of some kind and run a cable to each unit?

Thanks!
    Thanks to Freedom Tackle, Eco Pro Tungsten, Bio Edge

They will run off one antenna, but if the antenna runs to the 998 for example, it needs to be powered on for the 958 to read it.

Ed
    Thanks to Paddletales Tackle and Sign a Rama Nepean

Yes, they can run off one antenna, but the refresh rate is faster using a separate antenna to each unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chopin View Post
    If I'm installing a 998 and a 958 with an Ethernet cable will they run off one GPS antenna or do you need to install both GPS antenna? or do I need to use a splitter of some kind and run a cable to each unit?

Thanks!
    Hey Tom, I run a similar set up, but I went with two GPS pucks, one in the front and one in the rear, I would think the dedicated units would be more accurate with using their own puck as close to the Humminbird unit as possible.

Like Pino & Joel I run a puck for each unit. Issue is puck should be located as close to transducer as possible for waypoint accuracy. If transom or thru-hull transducer & you mark waypoint from the bow unit, you're already off by up to 21'. Using 1 puck is fine as long as the potential for error is understood &/or absolute accuracy isn't a big concern.