Thread: AM information thread

AM information thread

Hoping the registration is going well for the PRO/AM events this upcoming season.

I've also tried to get other people interested in joining the AM side of the event to give them an introduction to tournament fishing, as we all know that new blood is at least part of the key to future success of the tourney industry in Canada.

That being said, I know a lot of people that would love to see feedback from PROS and AMS that have competed in these types of events in the past. Information about anything to do with fishing these events.

From the PRO side: things like expectations of the AMs fishing with them (i.e. amount of tackle/rods, gas compensation, etc, etc). Any and all information would be relevant.

From the AM side: things you didn't know before fishing a prior event that you know now and would have liked to known before the event.

Although I personally haven't heard about how another series' development endeavor has been received or how it is working out, it's another tool in persuading new blood to the sport and bridging gaps.

Congrats to CSFL to adding more PRO AMS to the list of tourneys in an attempt to give more people more options !
    I would like to thank the following :

I fished the Kingston open as an AM the first two years. (2010 and 2011)
    For the most part, it was a pretty positive experience. I got to fish with 6 different "pro's" during those 2 events, and in all honesty, it was a pleasure fishing with 5 out of those 6 anglers. Each had a different approach to the water we were fishing, and i learned quite a bit from all of them.
    However, 1 of the anglers i was paired with, (i actually didn't even draw this person originally. The morning of the second day, i found out that some pairings needed to be switched around. So there i was, waiting at the ramp, and i thought i was going out with a really great angler...instead, after the switch, i ended up going out with a "pro" who's main boat had issues day 1. He wanted to pull out of the event, but was asked not to...the boat we ended up fishing out of was a 17' aluminum. so needless to say, we weren't going very far from the the blast off site that day. All 5 of the fish we weighed in, I caught. The guy i was fishing with, did not want to be there and he made no attempt at hiding that fact.
    This was one bad experience out of 6 days of fishing.

Some great experiences were had too. A great example was my day 1 partner during the second year i fished it. Andrew Shufelt. The day was canceled due to high winds. I had never met him before that morning, and instead of saying goodbye and going on his way, he asked me if i still wanted to go out fishing. We drove an hour north and spent the day fishing Big Rideau. It was an awesome day, and something that went far beyond anything i expected.

I definitely don't have any regrets fishing those events. They were a great introductory to some of the larger scale events in Ontario, and it was a lot of fun fishing Big water. Something i had never done before.
    The downside to it was the cost. They weren't cheap.
    Now i knew what i was getting into when i signed up for them, and was fully prepared for it...but for someone sitting on the fence who might not know what to expect, it can add up quick. Between the cost of motels, food, gas, the entry fee itself and time off work, it was a pretty expensive 3 days of fishing.

I'd agree with everything Joey stated. The 3rd day cut now helps with guys who are out of it. I have learned more about fishing as an amateur in the Canadian Open then I could ever imagine. These guys really know their stuff. I have fished all 5 years as an amateur. I ask every pro what they would like me to bring. Sure not everyone has 5 rods or more and boat load of tackle. Generally a pro will say we are going for buckets or smallies, deep or shallow and give you some ideas of what to bring. Anytime I didn't have a rod or the proper tackle they would offer thiers. They are in it to win. Sure some guys are protective and worried about equipment but most will offer something if needed. I've always offered gas money. Some will not take a cent, some will take a little, some will split it right down the middle. Most for gas I've seen is $100. That's a day of running. A lot of Am's get discouraged if they don't have a stacked event of high end pros. To that I'd say I just want to be in the boat for my pros best day. It's fishing and anything can happen. I've had 7-8lb bags for a day before but I wouldn't change anything. I had great days and met amazing guys. I can honestly say I'm friends with every pro I've fished with and all regularly message me when they come back to Kingston. The experience is a must for an avid angler. After 5 years and good buddies getting me hooked, I'm switching to the pro side this year. Hope this helps. Ps. Bring a good rain suit.