Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official TOP BASS Statment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Official TOP BASS Statment

Official Statement from the:

Top Bass Fishing Series

June 9, 2016.

The Top Bass Fishing Series Tournament Director (Ted Gallone) was notified on the afternoon of Friday September 11th, 2015 on the discovery of a makeshift cage on tournament waters. He was told that the cage in question contained 5 bass.

The witnesses who made the discovery where told by the TOP BASS Tournament Director to contact the Ministry of Natural Resources and report their find. Shortly after the first call the witness called the Tournament Director a second time and informed him that no actions could be taken by the authorities. At this time the Tournament Director asked that the witnesses not tamper with the evidence and just leave it where it is.
    Against the Tournament Directors request, the witnesses showed up at the anglers meeting that evening with the cage in the back of their pickup truck. A third party (not one of the witnesses) interrupted the anglers meeting that was in progress and suggested that the anglers and Tournament Director reconvene outside to see what was found that afternoon.

The Tournament Director was temporarily occupied with tournament business inside the building. By the time the tournament Director was able to get outside to the group in the parking lot, he was shown an empty makeshift cage and was overwhelmed with questions from the anglers on hand.

Based on the time available, the Tournament Director started to implement a plan to conduct both a physical and electronic surveillance of the location in which the first cage was discovered in an effort to identify any individuals involved.
    This course of action was not disclosed to the TOP BASS competitors in order to preserve the integrity of the investigation.

On the morning of Saturday September 12th 2015, prior to the commencement of the Tournament, the investigative plan was compromised as a result of inadvertent disclosure by uninvolved anglers.
    Later that day the Tournament Director was notified by a non-competitor that a second makeshift cage was discovered in close proximity of the location of the first cage. The empty second cage was brought to the Tournament headquarters accompanied by photos of fish in a cage.

After the weekends event the Tournament Director consulted with Law Enforcement personnel, for both guidance and further course of action. The witnesses were notified shortly after, that in order for the investigation to precede a signed statement from each witness was required with respect to what each person saw and what, if any actions were taken by them.

REGRETTABLY, AS OF JUNE 8, 2016, STATEMENTS HAVE NOT YET BEEN PROVIDED BY ANY OF THE INDIVIDULES INVOLVED IN THE CIRCOMSTANCES.

After further consultations with Law Enforcement Officials, it has been determined that there is no reasonable prospect of wrong doing at this time.

Please note that since 1993, there has never been a formal protest logged against a TOP BASS competitor. Unfortunately without a formal protest no actions can be taken on behalf of the TOP BASS Fishing Series.

As you all know, a verbal complaint alone, while taken with some validity, cannot solely be used as evidence of wrong doing.

Teodoro (Ted) Gallone

TOP BASS Fishing Series
    Thanks to: E.S. Automotive (Newmarket), Interstate, NGK, TDS Transmission (Newmarket), Raybestos Brakes, Spicer Suspension, DNS Armature 2000, Monroe Shocks, Walker exhaust (Tenneco), Thora used cars (Newmarket) and most of all MY MOM.

1-1(b) The TOP BASS Fishing Series reserves the right to refuse any applicants. Don,t play the card you can be sued !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Empty cage, no video or photos of the incident or wrong doing, tampering with evidence, and no witness statements. Wow.

Seems like a slam dunk for a conviction. WRONG.

I fished the series for 2 years and all went well. I dont know the 2 guys that have been dragged through the mud, whether guilty or not, and we have nothing concrete on them???? I DO NOT CONDONE CHEATING AND IF CAUGHT, THE CULPRITS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM ANY COMPETITION FOR LIFE. But in this situation, if the above noted by Top Bass is all accurate, then we need to rethink things.

Ted is a good guy and cannot please every body and runs a great series.

Just my opinion.

Please dont disrespect our sport of tournament fishing by saying this didn't happen! They got caught red handed, tucked thier tails between thier legs and went home.

Ted is a awesome guy and most of us know why his hands are tied. That being said if these two show up at a event im fishing they wouldnt make it to the registartion table to sigh up so ted wont have to decide anything
    Last edited by tylerzimmer; 06-10-2016 at 12:04 AM.

I don't fish the series, however, like most members here I followed the story. While I am am a person of reason, if it walks like a duck, looks like a duck and sounds like a duck... In saying that, there probably was an opertunaty in catching these guys red handed walking up on stage on weigh in but looks like some witnesses got a little excited. I take it that these two participants that "allegedly" committed this cheat at play are wanting to participate in this seasons events? Again, I don't fish the series but if I did and I know these two "cheats" were participating I would be encouraging as many teams as I could to pull out. You will see how fast these guys will be asked to not participate when 30 teams don't show.

Will not be letting this blow up here again as it has in other places.

To put it in the most easy to understand terms a team was accused of cheating, the people or person who accused them
    WILL NOT BACK UP THE CLAIM WITH A SIGNED STATEMENT
    DID NOT FOLLOW TED'S INSTRUCTIONS
    PICKED UP THE BASKETS AGAINST TED'S ADVICE
    DID NOT FILE AN OFFICIAL PROTEST

Ted's hands are tied, there is nothing he can do about the incident, he has no proof, no witness, no actual act of cheating during a tournament.

The people who should be taking the brunt of this hate feast are the ones who WILL NOT BACK UP THEIR CLAIM THAT THEY SAW A TEAM CHEATING!!!!! not Ted who has run a good series for many years and has no options to prove the cheating really happened.
    Custom Fishing Nets for Steelheading, Boating and Fly Fishing www.farrellnets.com
    Canadian Tire Mitchell's Bay Open July 6 & 7, 2018 www.mitchellsbayopen.com

Really Bruce !!! Oh I see so its the anglers fault now lol there was no cheating involved I guess? I guess the cottagers were having a BBQ and where keeping there bass nice and fresh in the cane !!!

In summary; TB does not have the formal support to pursue legal action against an event that "may or may not have happened".
    And this is unfortunately true.

I don't feel this post was a good idea unless you are of the mindset "any publicity is good publicity"
    Business wise, Publicity wise or personally... Not an easy thing for Ted to write I am sure.

With the first event being on my home lake, I think ill sit this one out as enforcing rule 1-1(b) (As Gardy mentioned earlier) should be exercised for at the very least, the integrity of the sport.

However, you may see me at the ramp in the morning with a lawn chair and some popcorn.. Could be an interesting one.
    Matt Pezzetta
    President
    Canadian Collegiate Bass Anglers

Matt something has to be done the finger was pointed well before this happened it was brought to Teds attention before the cages were found nothing was done !! I believe for his own doing he should add 30 dollars or whatever it takes to have a lie detector test present for everyone one of his events !!!!

Yes Brian the anglers are at fault! If you saw cheaters why in the hell would you not sign a statement to prove it. If you were told not to talk about it or touch the baskets why the hell would you talk about it a take the baskets. Ted didn't F it up, they did by not doing as he asked so he could lay the trap.

Weather they cheated or not is not the issue now
    Custom Fishing Nets for Steelheading, Boating and Fly Fishing www.farrellnets.com

Making useless posts since 04!
    beadonor.ca

WOW....

I can't believe we have gotten to this stage... "Weather they cheated or not is not the issue now"

There are quite a few of us that know what really transpired that afternoon and I don't blame the guys that found the cage as they were left "holding the bag" in the end.

IMO - When I pay for a "fair playing field venue", I expect exactly that. When the owner/governing body "can't be bothered" to uphold the fairness aspect of the venue....then my money will never go there again.

Mega Jigs - 'If we don't make it, you don't need it'
    Anglers Choice - 'choose wisely'

Prove it and it's the issue, until then........ not

I'm surprised the incident has even been brought up by the TB camp. The suspected cheaters have come and gone. Thas part of the story has been written. Possibly this is preparation for them showing up in the 2016 season?

What is at question here is...

(1) Will they be allowed to fish TB in the future or will the first right of refusal rule be implemented?

And

(2) What is TB going to do to try and eliminate the chance of this happening again?

Two very simple questions that should have been dealt with months ago. The right responces can possibly restore confidence in the organization.

There it is... Right to the point. We as the supporters of Top Bass need to know. Thank you G for addressing this effectively and eloquently. I will wait for a responce.
    I'd like to thank the following for their support. Lightning Series Lures, K Auto, and PRO-X SERVICES.