Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30TH Annual Canada/US Walleye

30TH Annual Canada/US Walleye

May 31ST and June 1ST, 2008
    Bobcaygeon, Ontario

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Toronto, Ontario – May 12, 2008 - The Competitive Sport Fishing League (“CSFL”) is happy to announce the annual Canada/US Walleye Tournament will be celebrating its 30th year of angling heritage.

This event being one of the last four standing heritage events (Canada/US Walleye, Emerald Isle Tournament, Orillia Fall Challenge and Stoney Lake Dumber Combo) in Central Ontario will be celebrating 30 years this season.

Andrew Pallotta of the CSFL states “I have been involved with competitive fishing for over 20 years and I have had the opportunity to witness both sides of the sport. From the angler side I have always valued these particular events for they have catered to the legends and carried out the legacy of the past. Although the event does not have the participation it had 30 years ago, the anglers that do participate are some of the finest in this province. This event has never been about the big cash payout, it has been about challenging your skills and competing against not only the fish but the anglers from the past and present. It was not long ago that Caesar Ruscio and Mike Quenelle stood on stage and said “the cash prize will come and go, but the title will be there forever”. As an organizer, I have been constantly challenged in maintaining this event and this year would be no different. With the new MNR regulations for the Kawarthas, we have adapted the new fish limits and size restrictions (4 fish per team, no more than 1 longer than 18.1” / 46 cm) to our event. These new slot limits will no doubt make this event extremely competitive.”

The regulation changes in other districts have all but eliminated events such as these from their waters. As an organizer and a tournament angler it is important that we maintain a presence within these areas and work within the guidelines set forth by the Ministry of Natural Resources for catch and release does work and we are prepared to adapt in order to preserve our heritage.

Vita Pallotta of the CSFL challenges all anglers to participate in this year’s event and celebrate the charm the Canada/US Walleye tournament has to offer.

The Canada/US Walleye Championship is based on total weight obtained over the course of the Canada/US weekend. This rule also applies for the Overall Big Fish Champion and other titles awarded for the Canada/US event. Competitors must fish both days with the same partner to be eligible for any Canada/US title. The CSFL guarantees to pay back 70% each day with a 10% holdback for the overall champions making it an 80% guarantee payout of all entries. No membership fee required.

For more information please contact:

Andrew Pallotta
    Competitive Sport Fishing League

bassmania@on.aibn.com

Tel. 905-640-2277

The Competitive Sport Fishing League is a recognized leader in the sport fishing industry which offers a comprehensive schedule for tournament anglers with over 40 annual tournaments across Southern and Eastern Ontario and has run and operated well over 300 successful events to date. No matter your skill level the CSFL has a tournament category to meet your needs. With great companies like Lund Boats, Mercury Marine, Shimano, Harris Kayot Marine, Strike King Lures, Rapala, The Toronto International Boat Show, Shake Down Sounds, Freiburger Communications, Ogilvy & Ogilvy, The Spring Fishing & Boat Show and Cardinal Scales behind us, the CSFL is able to provide its customers, spectators, and supporters direct delivery of product knowledge, fishing techniques, on water strategies, and an exciting weigh in show to feast the eyes. More reasons that keep the CSFL the first choice of tournaments. Don't just watch us grow, come grow with us.

As mentioned this is the 30th anniversary of the Canada/Us Walleye Tournament. I encourage anyone who has not fished this before to come out and participate as well as those who have, but not in the last few years. I have a feeling this may be the make or break year for this long running event, it would be a shame to see it cease. I can remember, and it was not that many years ago, that there was a waiting list of 2 to 3 years just to get a spot in this tournament. What a better way to spent a week-end than fishing walleye on beaufiful Sturgeon Lake.

Leter, Brian

How much is the entry fee for each day?

$150 per team per day

Howdy All,

This is one of the longest running tournaments still going today. I have had the pleasure of fishing this tournament the last 6 years. It is still one of the most prestigious events being held. We have had many years when even the Mayor comes out to the be part of the weigh in.

The angler support for this event has dropped over the last 5 years and is now in danger of being discountinued. It would be a shame if we loose another long standing event like this one, not to mention one of the last Walleye events available to anglers.

I can tell you this is an excellent event and very well run by Andy & Vita. I urge all anglers to come out and have some fun and keep this event going.

Regards

Cesare

Common Guys lets rally so we dont loose another long standing tournament!!!!!!!!!

Who is going to come out and support it?

How about a challenge to the local fishing clubs to come out and participate. I think to date we have approx 10 teams from our Lindsay Bass Masters Club entered. There are a number of us who do fish Andys' Bass Series as teams and have split up for this event to bring in new anglers to hopefully increase the field. I realize at this point it is just a dream, but how sweet would it be to see a field of 100 boats plus, as it was not that long ago.

See you all on the week-end.

Later, Brian

Great Idea Brian! that would be awesome if we could get the fields back up to 100 teams. Unfortunetley if we do not get over 50 teams this year, Andy & Vita are going to end it this year.

Cesare

Yes Cesare, I did hear rumors that this could be the deciding year for this event, as mentioned in my previous post. All we can do is put the word out, which a few of us have been doing since last fall, and hopefully there are others with the same passion for this event and it will continue. With any luck at all you may just see some teams this year who have not fished this event in the past 10 years.

Later, Brian

It's kills to see an event like this shut down because lack of support. I fished this event many years. To keep events like this we need the new anglers stepping up and fishing these tourney's. We all won't be around in the game forever but this plea goes to the anglers getting into the sport. Step up or there won't be anymore events to fish other than clubies.

Frank R

You would think the interest would be much higher considering the new catch restrictions. Now it's anyone's guess who will catch the biggest kicker to go along with the rest of the 18" dinks in the well.?LOL

Thats a good point Sean its wide open for anyone to win with the new slot size. Take a look at last weekends results on Sturgeon for Walleye. A little over 7 pounds won it.

Frank, you are correct in what you say. Were are letting long standing events die and will be left with clubbies only at this rate. Not that thier is anything wrong with club events as they are the grass roots to our sport.

lets keep this one going and support it this weekend.

Cesare

Looking like great weather this week-end!!!

Craig, is blast off 6:30 or 7am?

Cesare

All CSFL events are 7am this year