Thread: Second Annual RICK AMSBURY Memorial prO/Am

Second Annual RICK AMSBURY Memorial prO/Am

CSFL - prO/Am

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Toronto, Ontario – May 13, 2008 - The Competitive Sport Fishing League (“CSFL”) announces the Second Annual RICK AMSBURY Memorial prO/Am in support of FLEMING COLLEGE FOUNDATION on Sturgeon Lake on July 30 together with an additional prO/Am in support of the GEORGIAN COLLEGE Marine Unit on Lake Simcoe on July 9 which takes place during the National Fishing Week founded by RICK AMSBURY himself.

In 2007, the First Annual Rick Amsbury Memorial prO/Am was held out of Rivera Park in downtown Lindsay, Ontario on Sturgeon Lake. Over 160 anglers were paired up for this event and was recorded as one of the most successful events of the year.

Andrew Pallotta of the CSFL states “The day could not have started off any better. Things just kept falling into place. From the morning check in, to the weigh-in, to the incredible meal, it was apparent that all the participants dedicated the event to the spirit of the day.”

Greg Hammond, Marketing Manager of Shimano Canada comments “Rick “Huck” Amsbury was very influential in the Canadian fishing industry. We, at Shimano, are very proud of Rick’s accomplishments. He laid the foundation for many fish advocacy projects that exist today. We would like to thank the CSFL and the Fleming College Foundation for their involvement in running this annual tournament in his honour. Huck would have been proud of the professionalism put forth by the participants. I know Rick was smiling down on all of us on that bright and sunny day.”

Andrew goes on to say “I’m proud to be associated with a company such as Shimano who has honoured an individual for all his contributions he has made to the fishing industry.”

Vita Pallotta of the CSFL adds “Cam Brownson of Angler & Hunter TV did an incredible job capturing the event and giving a biography of the life of Rick Amsbury. I was quite proud to be associated with such an event.”

Greg Hammond has placed a challenge to all Pro Anglers. For every amateur a Pro refers and registers for the Rick Amsbury Memorial prO/Am that Pro Angler will be eligible for a draw to win a $500 gas card donated by Shimano Canada.

With the success of the Rick Amsbury Memorial prO/Am, the CSFL is pleased to announce a second prO/Am to be held on Lake Simcoe out of the Port of Orillia in support of Georgian College Marine Unit. Similar to the Rick Amsbury event, proceeds raised at this event will be donated to Georgian College.

Noted below are the cash paybacks for the Pro Anglers. This payout structure can be used as a guideline for the retail value of the prize packages awarded to the Am’s.

For more information please contact:

Andrew Pallotta
    Competitive Sport Fishing League
    bassmania@on.aibn.com
    Tel. 905-640-2277

The Competitive Sport Fishing League is a recognized leader in the sport fishing industry which offers a comprehensive schedule for tournament anglers with over 40 annual tournaments across Southern and Eastern Ontario and has run and operated well over 300 successful events to date. No matter your skill level the CSFL has a tournament category to meet your needs. With great companies like Lund Boats, Mercury Marine, Shimano, Harris Kayot Marine, Strike King Lures, Rapala, The Toronto International Boat Show, Shake Down Sounds, Freiburger Communications, Ogilvy & Ogilvy, The Spring Fishing & Boat Show and Cardinal Scales behind us, the CSFL is able to provide its customers, spectators, and supporters direct delivery of product knowledge, fishing techniques, on water strategies, and an exciting weigh in show to feast the eyes. More reasons that keep the CSFL the first choice of tournaments. Don't just watch us grow, come grow with us.

I spoke to Andy and before you ask......

Amateur prizes will be the minimal value of 50% of all amateur entry fees received. For example, first place on the pro side at 50 boats is $8,000; first place on the Am side will be at a minimal of $4,000 value of cash or prize. The CSFL is working towards escalating the prize values to 100%.

The blast off times are the same as last year 8:00 am; there will be a boxed lunch for both the pro and the am; weigh ins will commence at 3:00 pm with an "on site" dinner which will be followed by the awards ceremony. Proceeds will continue to benefit Fleming College Foundation and in connection with the Simcoe prO/Am for Georgian College Marine Unit.

Don't take this the wrong way please!!

I fished this event as an amateur last season and had a good time even if the fish didn't co-operate for us.

Was there ever a public accounting of the amount of money raised from this charity event published? I ask this only because since the amateurs appear to be the only ones contributing actual $$$ to the charity it would be nice to know how much was raised after expenses, what those expenses included, and what if any financial contributions might have been made by sponsoring or associated companies that went towards the Fleming Foundation.

I only ask this to show what we have contributed, and how our support helps worthwhile causes.

I trust Andy and Vita, they annually publlish an accounting of the revenues and expenses incurred on the Bassmania circuit , I just don't recall an annoucement that the Huck tourney raised $$XXXXXX for the Fleming Foundation

Pat

Phenominal event last year for sure! I don;t have any hard totals but I know the $$$ went to several Bursaries awarded to qualified Fish & Wild Life Students in the form of scholarships.

Very much loking forward to thisyear's event!

Later ............... PeteG!

As a Fleming alumni I do recall seeing the total raised published in the Fleming ties newspaper, do not recall the amount.

Thanks Rob I'll try a Google

Pat

Checked out the Fleming newsletter. It just says that $75K raised from it's 7 major fund raising events, no details on the Huck specifically

Pat

I had an opportunity to be a part of this event last year, and it was an excellent day from beginning to end!!! I was able to spend a day on the water with Harrison Sillen, which was an excellent learning experience. The coverage of the event was terrific, and it was neat to watch it on Angler & Hunter TV recently.
    Perhaps most importantly, it felt good to be a part of such a worthwhile cause.
    The Memorial to Rick Amsbury was especially well done, and an excellent tribute to such an important member of the Fishing Industry.
    I would encourage anyone who is considering fishing either Pro-Am to go for it!

I agree Laurie and will fish it again this year, just would like to be able to say this event raised $XXX for our future Fish and Wildlife students when trying to get more support for this event, and the numbers can probably be used for the Georgian event as an example of what anglers can do. There's all no ulterior, dark agendas or motives here. After all I HAVE to see if Ken can improve on last year's most embarassing moment

Pat

....Aaaah yes! Who can forget the entertainment that Mr Hamilton provided while waiting to weigh in?
    I was going to let that one go, I really did try...but since you brought it up.... :P

My work schedule didn't allow me to fish this last year but I'm already registered to fish the amatuer side this year. As a fleming grad it's great to be able to help out deserving students while experiencing something that should be so much fun.

See you guys there.

Originally posted by Pat Kennedy
    After all I HAVE to see if Ken can improve on last year's most embarassing moment
    Pat
    Originally posted by LaurieCharlebois
    ....Aaaah yes! Who can forget the entertainment that Mr Hamilton provided while waiting to weigh in?
    I was going to let that one go, I really did try...but since you brought it up.... :P
    Sorry to be a party pooper. But I will have to decline the offer of trying to out do myself. I'll let the story/legend fester for a few years, letting the tall tales grow, such as the boat actually hit bottom, and that Andy really did walk on water.
    When I do return, I will be back bigger, better and with a more monumental moment of shame, I promise! ?LOL

Ken you're a great sport, and I can only guess at the ribbing you've taken for something that you had no control over. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Pat