Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok got my Curado

Ok got my Curado

Ok I purchased a Curado 201E7 online...it's a 7.0:1 ratio. Next question for you guys...would this reel be best used for cranks and spinners...or flippin

Any rod recommendations would be great

Cheers
    Steve

First, in my opinion the Curado is a great reel, no problems with the ones I have. There the only baitcaster I use.
    I would say flippin's or spinners, anything needing a fast retrieve or the ability to move a fish out of the slop quickly. I have my Curado's paired with Crucials (7 and 7'6). But I just put one of the Curado 50mg's on a Cumara and don't think I would go back. If you are in the Belleville area check out Quinte outdoors, real good pricing on their shimano rods.

What kind of cranking, spinnerbaiting and flipping are you doing? That reel would probably work well for all 3. I say it’s always easier to slow down my retrieve with a faster reel than to try and burn with a 5:1 ratio.

As for rods…

Spinnerbaits I would go with a 7’ to 7 1/2’ Medium Heavy power with a Fast or Extra Fast tip.

Crankbaits same length but a softer power and tip action, maybe medium with a moderate fast taper.

And flipping, depending on what you’re fishing, but if you fish a lot of the heavy stuff, I’d go with the longest and heaviest action rod you are comfortable fishing with.

Aric, I agree. I run a 7:1 on the 7' shimano TC4 rod. I always thought it easier for me to slow down my cranking retrieve than to burn a 5:1., but you always hear pro's saying 5:1, to each their own.
    Also the 7'6 for flippin' seems the right fit for me.

Cheers,

Ben

Good choice dude!!!

I have a few curados and love them. The 7:1 is a high speed reel, and great for flippin or burning spinnerbaits, or chucking frogs deep into the thick stuff and needing to gain a lot of line quick...and as Aric and Ben mentioned, you can always reel it slower if needed.
    Being your first baitcaster, and needing to find a home on a single rod, find a 7' or 7'2" MH rod with a fast taper.

A rod thats very versatile and capable of a lot of things, IMHO

I have my curado's on 7'2" cumaras, both medium-heavy, extra fast and them as ultility rods.

Flipping, pitching, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, cranking, etc. The only thing I use my spinning rods for is drop shotting, tube dragging or any very light vertical presentations.

Amazing reel, you'll love it. I can bomb casts all day with no backlashes.

Good info guys...what the heaviest braid I should go with?

Many people run 65lb test when flipping. I run 40lb powerpro +/- various test fluoro leaders, absolutely 0 issues

All depends on what you're going to use it for.

Great reel. As mentioned it'll serve well in almost any role.

Line size is really driven by technique, but you'll have no issues running 65 on that reel, although I personally rarely use more than 50 lb.

Enjoy!

Line selection varies with different presentations and even then, its all personal preference.
    I think it will take some time for you to figure out with what your comfortable with.
    Last year i tried a spool of 65lb on a flipping/frog rod...it was like rope. i understand why guys use it, but after a couple outing, i knew it wasn't for me, i didn't have confidence throwing it. i don't fish a ton of heavy cover, but i do have a reel spooled with 40lb. Hasn't broke on me yet.

Most of my baitcast reels, i spool with 20-30lb braid, and i like it, and then depending on bait selection i will attach a fluro leader.
    i had a issue with 1 spool of 20lb last year though, i dont even know for sure if it was the line, but it hasnt happened since. I had one outing, and one of my reels backlashed 3 times on me...all 3 times the line snapped during the backlash and i lost 3 lures. Needless to say, i put that reel out of commission for the rest of the day.

Just got a curado as well. Feels pretty good pitching it around the hallways of my house!

I flip 65# braid...I don't break off 50 or anything, but I just find that 65 doesn't bury itself on the spool as much.

I normally fished with Citicas but had some extra money this time. Curado feels the same in my hand, but casts lighter weights even better I've noticed.

Is it true...the thicker the line the more "professional overruns" you could get...especially for newbies?

Ebay?

Anyway 65 # or die!

Ebay?

Anyway 65 # or die!

I would say the opposite is true about the over runs. The thicker the line you have less a chance at producing overruns. However, it can reduce your casting distance. The trick is to find the happy medium. I use 50LB braid (12 LB diameter) on all my casting outfits that I actually make long casts with. I have been using 25 LB fluorocarbon on my flipping rod, but I am tempted to try 65 LB braid for flipping heavy slop.

But again 50 LB braid rarely gives me any problems, and I can cast 30-40 yards (maybe even more, just estimating)with 1/2 oz. lures. Power Pro is my brand of choice. Keep in mind alternate brands of braid will have slightly varied properties which present varied advantages and disadvantages.

For example through my own trial and error, I’ve discovered Spiderwire is probably the strongest line you can get in a braid. But it’s not nearly as limp as Power Pro, so any kind of distance casting with it is just a big headache in my experience. But it might not be bad for short distance flipping and pitching, never really tried though. I will probably never try though, Power Pro casts great and rarely breaks on me, so I am not about to reinvent the wheel when I already have something that works for me.