Thread: VHF radio help.

VHF radio help.

In the near futur I'm looking to buy a VHF radio but I have no clue what I'm looking for. I'm sure that a handheld would be more practical but would a mounted radio be better? I'm not looking to put an antenna on my boat either.

I'm looking to use it for weather and to talk to the salmon guys when I go to lake Ontario.

Price range 100$ to 150$.

Any recommendations ? What should I be looking for when comparing radios?

Roge

I used a HB handheld for 7 yrs with no issues. I still have it but needs a new battery which I have not found yet. It was a 5 watt model and the range was max 7 miles but worked well up to 5 miles. Handy to have with weather and peace of mind the Coast Guard will hear you in a distress situation.

Hi Roger

We have a complete line of Standard Horizon, Icom, and Lowrance VHF radios on display at Radioworld if you would like to come by and check them out. The long and short of it is....

Handheld - 5 watt radios, range 2-6 miles max, more convenient, no antenna to mount, some available with DSC (with built in GPS).

Fixed mount - 25 watt, range upto 18 miles+, 3'-8' whip antenna to mount, DSC standard on all we sell.

Handhelds are great and it is what I carry onboard and will get you by for weather and listening to people in close proximity to yourself.

In your price range I would recommend either the Standard Horizon HX280 or the HX370s

Icom would also offer the M34 on the higher side of that price range

Thanks

Lawren

I also have some demo models listed in the BFB classified section that are handheld VHFs and they are at special BFB pricing!! Here is the link BFB Classified Ad

-Lawren